C H A P T E R 4 7

S U N L I G H T shimmered on the tiny street

S U N L I G H T shimmered on the tiny street. The broken road, home to many puddles. A result of the heavy downpour last night. The heavy rain marked the beginning of summer. And brought with it the happiness of the fact that Ramadan was now just a few days away.

Motorbikes sped by, splashing the muddy water on the passer-by. Having no regard for the pedestrians. Saliha was one of those people. She stepped outside of her house, covered in a black lawn chadar. Her beloved mother had instructed with the duty of going to get sugar from the grocers. Her feet clad in her elder brother's joggers as she headed out.

Saliha was the youngest. With an elder brother and sister. Her elder sister, was married into a rich family and seldom came to visit. Meanwhile, her elder brother was an honest police officer. Refusing to take any form of rishwat. He was following the footsteps of his marhoom father. Asif was the pride of his sister and mother.

Saliha prayed for him to get everything that he desired. She knew how he would sacrifice his dreams to fulfill hers. Eventhough, she tried to not show how much she wanted something, he would always figure it out and have it placed on her study desk the next day.

Though her brother was not extremely rich, their hearts were full. They managed to live a comfortable life. Sire they could not have any extravagant expense. But that was because his mother wanted her brother to save his money and build a house for himself and his future family. According to her, she would love to live in the home built by her husband. And her future daughter-in-law deserved that too.

Saliha was conscious of her steps. Avoiding stepping inside puddles and ensuring no careless driver drenched her in dirty water. Lately her life had been made hell by their newest neighbours. They had the audacity to ask for her hand in marriage with their son. A son who was jobless, and a thief. She had seen him steal things from sellers who, due to the pandemic were finding it tough to get by as is.

"Eik kilo cheeni dena uncle," she asked the man who sat at the counter.
Her brother had taught her to call all strangers sir. The title of uncle and brother reserved only for those that were close family. And this man, was like close family.
"Yeh lo gudiya," the man replied.
Handing her the bag. He was an old man and had seen Saliha grow up in front of his eyes. He was proud of the woman she was turning out to be.
"Shukriya," she paid him.

When no change was given, she inquired the reason behind it. Only to learn that sugar was now at an all time high price. There had been some illegal things going on causing shortage of the sweetener. Making it more expensive over night.

SENSITIVE CONTENT
WARNING
_________________________

Saliha thanked him, turning around to go home. She had only just turned the corner when she was roughly pushed against the wall. An ache starting in her back. She knew who it was. The familiar vulgar tone a dead giveaway that it was Sharukh. He gripped her hair from over her veil, ripping her mask off.
"Chodo mujhe!" Saliha struggled.
Trying to get out of his grip.
"Kyun? Teray mun mein lambi zuban hai. Saari akar khatam karta hun teri," he ripped of her veil.
Taking away from her, the only sense of guard she had.

Tears filled Saliha's eyes. As she felt naked infront of everyone. The men that were Sharukh's friends eyed her with eyes full of havas.
"Ab bata kia karey gi?" Shahrukh taunted.
Kissing her cheeks in a disgusting manner. Leaving slobber all over them. Saliha harshly wiped it off. Crying for her chadar to be returned.
"Kyun? Nahi milay gi wapis. Agar tu meri nahi, tou teri izzat mein khud uraun ga!" He came forward.
Before he could rip her shirt, a hand stopped him. A tight slap falling on his cheeks.

It was Asif. His mother had called him back. Worried that Saliha was taking longer than usual. He grabbed the cloth from Shahrukh's arms. Wrapping it around his crying sister. He hugged her to himself trying to soothe her cries. Still in his police uniform, he asked one of his colleagues to tie handcuffs on Shahrukh and take him to the station.

"Bas meri jaan. Koi ghalti nahi hai apki. Chup karo. Kuch nahi huwa. Allah uski saza uski de ga!" Saliha's mother calmed her down.
She was a strong woman, raised by a strong man and married to a man who believed in supporting women. There was no way she would cry and hush the matter. Worst came to worst, she would herself contact media for help.
"A-ammi mujhe khud sai ghin arahi hai," Saliha spoke.
Eyes red and full of tears. She had been crying ever since they returned.
"Shh mera bacha. Allah ko yaad karo. Woh tumhein sakoon bhi de ga. Aur uss ghatiya aadmi ko uski ghalti ki saza denay mein bhi madad kare ga," she gave Saliha a glass of milk.

Sharukh had hurt her daughter. She would be dammed if the man saw sunlight as a free man anytime soon.

A T T H E S T A T I O N
__________________________

Asif sat inside his office. Waiting for Shahrukh's family. They had solid proof against Shahrukh. The camera in the corner of the street had recorded everything. Moreover, a few people were ready to testify against Shahrukh, harassing Saliha.

Asif had filled in a FIR against Shahrukh. The case would now be dealt with in court. No matter how much he wanted to kill him, he knew it was not the right way. They had a justice system, although flawed, it could still be trusted.

Soon a man entered, he was Shahrukh's father. Followed by a man on a wheel chair and another young man.
"Assalamualikum sir," Abdul Rehman greeted.
He was behaving meekly, it was the matter of his sons freedom. He had let go of his ego to call his son-in-law and nephew.
"Hmm. Yeh dono kon hain?" He pointed towards Rizwan and Mustafa.
"Ji yeh mera damad hai aur jo mazoor hai woh meray bhai ka beta," in that moment he let his tongue slip.
Everyone eyed him with disgust. A man who did not respect family, how could his son respect anyone else?

"Apko maloom hai apke betay keh upar FIR kat gai hai. Mein yeh case hargiz wapis nahi lun ga!" Asif spoke, sternly.
"Officer fo you think you can afford it? Because Sharukh's cousin is willing to hire the best lawyer possible," Rizwan spoke smugly.
That was a cause of worry for Asif. Although he had proof, he did not have enough money to hire a good lawyer.

"Shaid sab ko ghalat fehmi hai. Mein lawyer miss. Saliha keh liye hire kar raha hun. Officer I will take care of all your expenses related to the case. Fikr mat karein. Ap bas insaaf milne ki tiyaari karein," Mustafa smiled at him.

Mustafa had not revealed it to his uncle or ex- best friend about his plan. He would die before he supported a man guilty of assault.

"Dusra, Asif sahab, agar problem na ho, tou mein apki behan keh liye eik psychiatrist ka inteezam bhi karna chahta hun. She must be going through a lot mentally. And I want to help in any way possible," Mustafa exposed his intentions.
"Yeh. Mustafa sahab hum apka ehsaan kabhi bhula nahi pain gai. Shukriya. Bohat shukriya," Asif's eyes filled with tears.
He had no idea a man like Mustafa would be alive in a time where everyone was selfish. Only caring for themselves. Here, Allah had sent him a literal angel.

It was true, Allah never burdened a soul more than they could withstand.

●●●●¤¤●●●●

I AM A GOOD INSAAN PERIODT

PLEASE PRAY FOR MY GRADES AND FUTURE.. MEIN ROZ DOUBLE UPDATES KARTI HUN