Prologue

"Sarah, can you just sit down let's talk about this," I said, trying to calm her down. I knew my wife well, and I knew the only thing that would help was talking to her. You could never force Sarah to do anything.

"Lucas, what do you want to talk about, I'm carrying a child!" she said, still pacing up and down the large sitting room. "A child Lucas, do you even know what that means for my career?"

"Baby, you should be happy, we're going to receive the best blessing of our lives in a few months." I stood up and went in front of her to stop the pacing.

"What the fuck do you mean by that Lucas? What about my career that took me so long to build huh, what about that?" she snapped and started crying, for the second time this morning.

I cautiously put my arms around her waist, careful not to make any sudden movements. For the past few weeks, she had been cranky and highly irritable, now I knew it was all these hormones messing with her. I had to be careful not to say or do anything that would irritate her any further.

"Hey, don't cry," I whispered, running my hand through her thick brown hair. She easily melted into my arms, and I rocked her gently against my body.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so scared." her words were muffled, as she sobbed gently against my chest.

"You don't have to be baby, let's sit?" I asked

She nodded, and I brought her to the sofa I had been sitting on earlier. She wanted to sit next to me on the sofa, but I held her back and patted my lap gently. She took the hint and sat on my lap instead.

She rested her head on my shoulder, crying softly, and I wrapped one hand around her and used the other to stroke her hair. I knew all of this stress was not good for her in the first trimester, and it broke my heart to see her cry this way.

"I don't know what to do," she said, still crying.

"We'll figure it out baby, I promise we will. I know how much you love your career, and I would never force you to do anything that'll ruin your career, you know that right?"

She sniffed and gave a small nod.

"I just want us to give this a chance, and you know how children always bring so much happiness to a family, I'm sure this child will do the same for us," I said, putting my hand and her stomach.

Her stomach was still flat, and it did not look like anyone was growing in it, but I knew our child was in there, no matter how small he or she was.

"But we are happy." she raised her head from my chest and looked at me.

I knew I had to tread carefully, or that look could easily change into a glare. " Yes, we are, but we can use an extra source of joy in the house, can't we?"

She was silent for a while, and I waited patiently for her to think about her answer.

After almost a minute, she spoke. "You're right, I'm being selfish, a child would complete our small family and make us perfect."

"No baby, you're not being selfish. It's okay for you to think about your career, you worked so hard for it." I drew small circles on her back with the hand that was wrapped around her.

She had stopped crying, and the redness of her cheek had reduced. A streak of dried tears formed from her eyes to her chin. She reached a hand out to my face and stroked my face gently, her eyes never leaving mine.

"Why are you so perfect?" she asked, still stroking my face.

"You make me perfect baby," I held her head and brought her forehead to my lips. "I love you so much, and I hate seeing you cry."