Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 2 - The Dream

Once the accommodation on the ship was all accounted for, Melissa and I prepared for departure.

Our guests had stored their cargo safely in the hold and knew which quarters they had been assigned to, and we had let each of them know about protocols, medical facilities and eating arrangements.

We departed mid-afternoon, after making sure everyone had what they needed. The first scheduled meal was in the evening at half past six. Melissa and I had a routine where we would start preparing at five o'clock to try to give us plenty of time to prepare something for everyone, including alternatives for those with special dietary requirements.

My eyes were watering slightly from chopping onions for the mushroom pasta, while Melissa was preparing the salads, when Amy turned up at around six o'clock.

Amy's unexpected appearance reminded me that I could feel her emotions when she boarded, and I wondered whether I'd feel them again.

Although nobody had spoken, I found myself focusing on her blurry form intently through the moisture that had formed across my eyeballs. Perhaps I thought that if I concentrated hard enough, I might feel something from her.

I don't know whether it was because I lost concentration on the food preparation or because of my distorted vision, but somehow, I managed to knock the nearby large bowl of grated cheese from the work surface. A loud crash echoed through the kitchen as it smashed into pieces near my feet and the cheese scattered in different directions like yellow confetti.

Nobody spoke for a few seconds as we all processed the sudden debris that littered the floor.

And then I felt it.

At first it was just frustration, quickly escalating to anger, but this time it was emanating from Melissa. I looked up at where she stood unmoving, with the knife she'd been using to chop the salad vegetables still in her hand. The expression on her face gave nothing away, but I could feel the anger rising.

I was fascinated. I'd assumed it was just Amy's emotions I could feel, but I was now receiving an emotion from Melissa. I took a second to consider why, now, I could feel Melissa's emotions but not Amy's. I pondered what the trigger might be.

Melissa, still outwardly composed, turned to Amy.

"Can we help you with something?" she asked politely, drawing me out of my thoughts. "Food won't be available until six thirty."

I turned my concentration back to Amy as well.

Amy's gaze moved away from the scattered cheese and onto Melissa.

"I just came to see whether I could help with anything," she replied tentatively.

[True.]

Her eyes flicked over to look at me, and then back to Melissa. That small gesture told me that she'd come to make good on her promise of helping out in exchange for me giving her a ride with no ID or paperwork. She felt like she owed me a debt and she wanted to repay it.

"We're good," I smiled at her before Melissa got a chance to respond. "But thanks for the offer. Why don't you find a table and make yourself comfortable? We shouldn't be too much longer."

"OK," she replied, facing me and returning the smile. "Let me know if you change your mind."

Amy did as I suggested and found a table in the far corner of the dining room. She took out an electronic device, which I assumed must be a book or a game, and started tapping buttons and swiping.

Melissa was still angry as I started sweeping up the cheese and pieces of broken crockery from the floor.

I couldn't understand why. Accidents happened sometimes. It wasn't like she'd never spilled anything before.

icon lock

Show your support for Evan Binley, and continue reading this story

by Evan Binley
@Evan_Binley
Kane has a 'sixth-sense' - he can tell whether someone is being hones...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 25 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Evan_Binley.