xxiv. wake up by your side

Aurora woke up in the morning with her head resting on something solid

Aurora woke up in the morning with her head resting on something solid. Slowly, she blinked her eyes open, realising that the something solid was Remus Lupin.

During the night they had spread out on the sofa, him laying on his back, and her on top of him, her head still on his chest, his arm wrapped around her waist.

She smiled at the boy beneath her, who was still sleeping, and started to move to go and get a drink, but Remus' arm that had rested on her waist tightened. Quietly, she laughed and placed her head back on to his chest.

She didn't bother with going back to sleep, as she was guessing it was around 8 in the morning and she would be woken up by everyone else getting ready for work. They stayed there, undisturbed, for 10 minutes.

James was the first that found them.

"Morning!" He called out to them, passing through to the kitchen.

"Be quiet, James," She mumbled into Remus' chest. "And stop being so happy in the morning."

"Why? Mornings are the best part of the day!" He told her, still not lowering his voice.

"James, be quiet!" Lily came down from the stairs, having realised that Remus was still sleeping. "Remus hasn't woken up yet."

"He sleeps like the dead." James snorted.

"I will hit you." Aurora weakly threatened him.

"Of course you will," He said sarcastically. "But that means getting off of Moony there."

"Piss off," She grumbled. "I prefer your wife."

"She is great, isn't she?" James said dopily, dropping a kiss on Lily's cheek.

"Yes, yes. Now be quiet." Aurora agreed, already missing the silence.

"Oh my god. Is that Remus?" Lois asked, entering the room with Sirius behind her.

Aurora groaned, pressing her head closer against Remus' chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart.

"Yes. It's Remus. And he's sleeping," She told her sister, just wanting to get back to sleep. "Don't you all have work?" She tried to hurry them.

"Wish I was unemployed." Lois muttered under her breath at the same time James did.

Aurora weakly laughed, happy now that they were all leaving the room.

"What are you laughing about?" A voice came from beneath her.

"Nothing," She smiled at Remus. "Go back to sleep."

"I don't need sleep." He mumbled.

"Yes, you do. And I want to go back to sleep too," She told him. "And you're comfy." Aurora added. She felt Remus' laughter in his chest. "Stop that." She poked him in the ribs.

Sadly her efforts for trying to get him to stop laughing only caused more. Aurora glared at the boy, his laughter now stopping. "Sorry," He smiled. "I'll sleep."

Aurora hummed happily and closed her eyes, trying to get him to do the same. After 5 minutes she opened her eyes again and saw Remus staring at her.

"Merlin, Remus." She groaned. "You need to sleep. You're going to be up all night tonight, you need the rest."

She lifted herself off of the taller boy. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm getting some coffee," She told him. "Since you're obviously not going to sleep. Do you want anything?"

Remus shook his head. "I'm alright."

"Okay." She smiled and walked into the kitchen where Lois, Lily, Sirius and James were all huddled together, speaking quietly.

"Do you all have gossip sessions instead of going to work?" Aurora asked, walking up to them.

They all whipped their heads around so fast, James looking like a deer in headlights. "Pfft...no?" Lois said.

"Mhmm," Aurora said, moving away from them and over to the coffee machine. "Do you want me to watch over Harry today?" She asked, knowing that she'd be asked to anyway.

"If you could, that would be great." Lily said.

"It's no problem. Now all of you, get to work." She picked up her mug and shooed the others out of the house.

Smiling, she walked back into the living room to check on Remus before she brought Harry down.

When she walked over to him, she saw that he had fallen asleep again. Aurora couldn't help but laugh lightly as she placed her mug down on the table and left to go and get Harry.

A few minutes later, she was back in the living room, Harry playing with toys on the floor and her joining in, moving toy trains and cars.

Aurora enjoyed playing with Harry, he was fascinated by everything and wanted to learn new things.

Remus slept through lunch, and hours after. Aurora figured if must be a werewolf thing—getting tired around the full moon. Harry had dozed off some time around 3, leaving Aurora as the only awake one in the room.

Luckily, it didn't last too long, as Remus woke up.

"Hi," She said softly. "Sleep well?"

Remus nodded slowly. "What time is it?" He asked.

Aurora glanced up at the clock on the wall. "3:20," She told him. "What time does the moon come up?"

"In a couple of hours." He mumbled.

Aurora smiled in what she hoped was a comforting way. "Come on, let's get some food in you." She said, offering a hand out to him. Remus grabbed on, and she pulled him up. "Anything you want in particular?"

Aurora walked into the kitchen, not letting go of Remus' hand, and he didn't let go of hers either. "Chocolate." He said quietly.

"Cake? Bar?" She questioned, letting go of his hand so he could sit down and so she could grab whatever he wanted.

"Cake."

Aurora hummed and moved to get him a slice. "Anything else?"

"No, thank you." He smiled weakly at her as she placed a plate and fork in front of him. "How was Harry?" Remus asked as she sat down next to him.

"Harry was great. We played with trains and cars, he drew a picture of James and let me tell you—it was not flattering. At all." She told him, listing off the things her and Harry had done whilst they waited for him to wake up.

They fell into a small conversation, Aurora making up for the short answers Remus gave because of how tired he was.

Eventually, everyone had returned from work, and Peter had come round, ready to take Remus out.

"Are you going to be alright?" Aurora asked Remus before he left, James, Sirius and Peter standing by the front door. "I mean, obviously not...just, try and stay safe, yeah?"

"I'll try." Remus laughed quietly.

Aurora smiled up at him. "Good." She watched as he left the house, apparating to a forest.

Sighing, she closed the door. She knew that she probably wouldn't get much sleep that night.

AN:
am i a sucker for soft remus? yes.
i'm getting like so original with my chapter titles (im really not but oh well)

fuck marry kill: marlene, lily, mary

fuck: marlene
marry: lily
kill: mary

thank you all for the comments and votes!! 🥰