five

"i heard screaming earlier," the neighbor told the sweaty male who literally just arrived, "we don't want to interfere with them, but we fear that your sister might... you know... freak out again because of them." 

the man heard the voice of the mother of the household earlier yelling out her husband's name. at first, he let it slip because it is normal for married couples to fight especially regarding family matters, but things turned more concerning for the guy when he heard things being thrown around and he was aware of the youngest child's fear. he ran out of his house and as much as he didn't like meddling in other people's business, he cared about this family because of their loving nature. he tried peeking through the windows but saw nothing due to the curtains covering the inside of the house. obviously, walking into the house would be crossing the line of privacy and he might receive a trespassing law suit, resulting into him calling for shotaro immediately to resolve the issue.

shotaro didn't know how to react but one thing is for sure, he knows that sakuya must be hiding in their room away from the quarrel of their parents. his sister is a girl that gets easily frightened. she'd flinch when they raise their voice at her, making them cautious around the fragile girl. all the more does shotaro want to take care of her. this is why he ran all the way home after that call.

"i'll take it from here," the boy bowed as his sign of gratitude, "thank you so much. i'll get going." after the neighbor nodded, he quickly left and stopped at the door then took a deep breath before entering. what could they possibly fight about again? did they forget sakuya is at home because its a saturday?

it was good that he took time to breathe. he really needed that deep breath because he's now holding it in.

a bloody scene welcomed him home.

his parents drenched in a pool of blood. 

the couple must have spent their last breath telling each other words of love and comfort. they were next to one another, holding hands. the now orphaned boy's eyes roamed the location. the house was extremely damaged. the robbers might have thought the owners of the house weren't home. it looked like they rummaged through the place— probably looking for some riches the family might be keeping. well, they got nothing of that except for their love for one another. the scene was dark literally. no lights, the curtains shut, drawers open, and the darkest scene, his lifeless parents on the floor.

the boy couldn't let out his voice, knelt on the ground as tears started to escape his eyes. and in that moment, he didn't know what to feel but suddenly remembered his sister. "sakuya?" he stood up in a hurry and checked his room. there were no signs of the girl. the only option he had left was to call the police.