62 • Sunset

for reference, Haechan sent that message to Jisung (last chapter) at 6:27 p.m.

• Chapter 62 

Chenle smiled. Brightly. Warm. 

He looked adorable like this and Cho-a adored the sight. So she couldn't help herself from returning his smile although he wasn't even looking at her. 

"You know," she began. She sounded happy. Her words felt so carefree and light. "I'm glad to have a friend like you." 

Chenle quickly turned his head to look at her. He was surprised about the randomness of it all. However, he couldn't complain. He felt the same way. 

He was happy to have a friend like her. 

It just sounded oddly melancholic. 

That's why he didn't reply right away. He watched her first, sitting calmly on the blanket that the two had spread out on the ground. The sun was still shining on a clear sky, the air was warm, the day was about to end. Maybe she only sounded like this in contrast to the scenery. 

"You are worried," Chenle then stated. He wasn't sure, actually. He phrased it as an observation rather than a question because it felt harder to deny. 

Cho-a hummed. "Kind of." 

"You aren't confident?" he then asked, referring to everything they had been working towards, referring to finally ending all the trouble. 

But his question quickly made her frown and quickly made her deny. 

"I have you. How could I not be confident?" she retorted. Her question seemed sincere, not so much just a compliment to get his approval. 

Smiling brightly, Chenle patted the younger one's head. "Perfect reply." 

And to that perfect reply came immaculate timing when suddenly, interrupting their friendly chat, Cho-a's phone buzzed. 

It vibrated lively against the cold ground before she picked it up, swiftly checking the new message. It took only a glimpse for her to lose her excitement. 

Chenle eyed her carefully. "What is it?" Leaning over to the side, he took a look at her phone. 

[2 new messages]

Unknown Number
(5:59 p.m.)
We should talk
- Hyung-joo
[Unknown Number shared their location]

(seen)

Chenle stared at the screen with a frown. He hummed lowly. 

"Talk, huh?" he asked into the empty space before them. "Does she think we are going to fall for that?" He seemed almost disappointed in the little credit the woman gave them. 

Looking at Cho-a, she seemed equally unimpressed. "Probably," she said under her breath. "Can't believe she thinks so lowly of us."

Which made Chenle inhale sharply through his teeth. He put a hand on the girl's shoulder and squeezed it softly.

"Well, technically seen she only thinks lowly of you," he explained. "She didn't mean to address me."

Giving him a look, she nodded slowly.
"Thanks for pointing it out."

"No problem," he said with way too much confidence.

So, rolling her eyes, Cho-a turned away as she mumbled a very quiet and very hard to understand,
"I'll kill you if she doesn't."