Chapter 7

A/N: Sorry for the wait! I'll try to update every 2-4 days! My schedule will probably be 1-3 new chapters a week. If I feel super motivated I'll do more! 

Sophie broke the news to her friends the day after she learned. She invited them to Havenfield and stood outside in the lush pastures, by Calla's Panakes tree. With a nearly broken voice, she said, "Guys? I need to tell you all something important."

Her friends all looked at her, curious, worried, and concerned. "What's wrong, Sophie?" Linh asked, in her calm, steady voice.

"I-it's..."

"Wait!" interrupted Biana, anxiously. "Should we hail Keefe? I doubt he'd feel like visiting... So maybe he'd feel comfortable hailing us."

Sophie felt the need to sit down. It would make it easier to tell them.

"That's just it. Keefe's gone."

Gasps flew around the group. Biana started to sob. Marella went pale. Wylie's eyes were as big as saucers.

And then there was Fitz. Fitz's face was scrunched up, and his expression looked hard. But there was more. Sophie remembered the time when they'd learned Keefe joined the Neverseen as a double agent. Fitz practically shut himself away from the rest of the group, and anytime someone brought it up he would be on the verge of tears.

As Sophie looked back at Fitz, she could see the remnants of that time written all over. Seeing her friends so sad nearly crushed her. 

"WHAT?! Are you joking? Sophie, please tell me you're messing with us," begged Dex, distressed.

Through tears, Biana replied, "This can't be a joke." She fell to her knees, as Tam awkwardly patted her back. "It's not a joke. You guys saw how afraid he was. How much his new abilities changed him. He was afraid to talk in fear of hurting us."

Fitz turned to the group. "And this is what he thought was best. He left so he wouldn't hurt us." 

There was a meaningful look in his eyes, as they shifted to Sophie after uttering the last syllybal. Sophie squirmed, knowing what he was implying.

"Do you have any idea where he went?" asked Tam. 

Everyone knew Tam and Keefe had a... complicated relationship. They were rivals, and were constantly bugging and arguing with each other. But they were still in it together. 

"Well? Anything?"

"Oh, um.. He didn't say anything about that in his letter." Sophie replied.

"Of course," he muttered, his hands running through his ghostly silver bangs. "He didn't leave any leads."

Sophie didn't have to be an Empath to know him and many others were feeling annoyed.

"Guys, I know it sucks that he actually left. Again," she added, before anyone interrupted her. "But we can't forget his intention. I don't know if anyone of us know what he's been going through all these years. He doesn't have parents that care about him. Keefe's whole life is full of gloom. Can you even blame him for trying to keep the only people who care about him safe?"

If Sophie was being honest, she'd have to address the voice in her head thinking it was selfish. But saying the words helped her believe it.

"And," she continued. "His mom had been planning some big 'legacy' for him behind his back for his whole life. We owe it to him to at least try to understand why he left."

"We don't owe him anything!" yelled Fitz.

"Well, now you're just being selfish," Biana retorted swiftly, the rest of their friends nodding, though rather reluctantly.

"Do you want to talk about selfish? Keefe left everything, including any support he actually had  just to get away from us because he apparently thinks leaving will help him control his crooked new powers. That's being selfish," Fitz lashed out, angrily. But everyone noticed the sadness tucked beneath.

"Did you listen to a word Sophie just said?" Marella asked Fitz, crossing her arms. "I thought you'd do anything for her."

The fluttery feeling that Sophie usually felt when people made comments like that didn't come. "Marella, it's fine. If Fitz wants to keep himself in that denial then it's fine by me. I really couldn't care less,"she said, earning a gasp from Fitz. "But what I do care about is that Keefe is out somewhere, probably feeling scared and overwhelmed by his new powers-"

"He wouldn't be feeling like that if he didn't leave!" Fitz spat out, miserably. 

"Right. But we can't change what's been done. We can, however, do the next right thing," Wylie said, sensibly.

Sophie nodded to him in appreciation. "Let's do something to bring him back. I'm sure we're all missing him."

There were choruses of agreement, ending up with Fitz finally saying with a sigh, "Fine. Let's make a plan."

Some of the pain in Sophie's heart eased after that conversation.

A/N: Wowzers! I'm actually feeling kinda proud of this chapter! Be sure to comment and vote! ^^