20 || the well house

Beverly looked over at the six of you who remained in the garage, giving you all a pleading look. "Guys..."

Letting out a quiet sigh, without a word, you walked over to your bike, grabbing the handles and kicking the kickstand up before turning to look at the others expectantly. They just stared back at you, dumbfounded.

"We can't let him go alone," you stated the obvious and looked over at Beverly, who sent you an appreciative smile.

Throwing a leg over your bike, you turned to look back at the others one last time and, as if they were marionettes, they all moved forward together to grab each of their bikes. It was at that moment that you remembered Stanley's bike was propped up next to yours.

In order to spare both yourself and him from any awkwardness, you hastily pushed your foot off of the ground to propel yourself forward. You set off on the path to the house on Neibolt street with Beverly following behind you, and the others not long after.

Beverly, who picked up speed on the way and had gone a little ahead of you, spotted Bill just as he was beginning to walk up the steps to the rickety old house.

"Bill!" she called out frantically, causing him turn around to look at her. "Bill, you can't go in there."

When she made it to the old fence, she climbed off of her bike and let it fall to the ground before walking up to him. The rest of you copied her actions (with the exception of Stanley, who, of course, used the kickstand on his bike).

"This is dangerous, Bill," you tried to reason with him. "Someone could get hurt."

"Look, you don't have to come in with me," Bill said. "But what happens when another Georgie goes missing? Or another Betty? Or another Ed Corcoran? Or one of us?"

You and Stanley shared a fleeting look.

"Are you just gonna pretend it isn't happening like everyone else in this town?" Bill asked. "Because I can't. I go home and all I see is that Georgie isn't there. His clothes, his toys, his stupid stuffed animals, but he isn't. So walking into this house, for me, it's easier than walking into my own," he finished. Without waiting for a response, he turned back around and trudged up the rest of the stairs.

"Wow..." Richie spoke quietly.

"What?" Ben asked.

"He didn't stutter once."

Everyone except for Beverly and Stanley began to move to the stairs, but the latter's "Wait!" made you all turn back to look at him.

"Um..." He looked mildly uncomfortable with everyone's attention on him. "Shouldn't we have some people keep watch?" When silence followed, he hastily added, "You know, just in case something bad happens?"

All of you looked up at Bill to see his answer, almost like the seven of you had come to an unspoken agreement that he was your leader in this terrifying adventure.

"Wh-wh-who wants to stay out here?" Bill asked, brows furrowed.

At once, everyone's hands flew up in the air, including your own. At least, everyone's except for Beverly's.

What? You weren't some valiant heroine in an acclaimed horror movie. This was a killer clown you were talking about. You were allowed to be scared.

Slightly embarrassed that all of your hands were raised, you hastily lowered yours. Mike did the same, followed by Richie, Eddie, Ben, and Stanley.

"Fuck," Richie sighed.

—————

The door of the well house creaked loudly as Bill lightly pushed it open, revealing its incredibly mucky interior. When you walked in after him, you couldn't help but scrunch your face up in utter disgust as you surveyed your surroundings.