FORTY

Sometimes it felt like Bren and I were star-crossed lovers, like the universe was determined to keep us apart

But I knew that wasn't true. We were meant to be together, right next to each other in the sky. We were part of the same constellation. But right now, our vantage point made it hard to see the whole picture.

We were some of the lucky ones. In my heart, I knew we were.

I just couldn't see it yet.

Bren talked about getting our own place and living together, and I wanted that so badly. But happily-ever-after seemed so far away. And I felt helpless; I had to sit here, waiting.

After Bren left, I sighed, sinking further into my bed and wiping the wetness from my face. Even though my heart ached, I managed to pull myself together before Nessa came into the room. I'd learned that tears solved nothing, and my roommate had probably seen enough of mine.

"Hey girl," she said as she slipped into the room, giving me a cautious glance.

I gave her a weak smile. "Hey, Nessa."

She threw her purse down on her bed. "How was your weekend with Bren?" The question was accompanied by a little peek over her shoulder. And a sly smile.

I couldn't help but grin at that. "It was..."

Impossible to describe, that was what it was.

Nessa laughed and collapsed onto her bed. She curled up on a pillow and raised a brow. "That good, huh?"

I bit my lip and ignored how my entire body reacted to the memories of how good it was. But I didn't get a chance to reply because then Beau burst through the door with a full drink carrier.

"Am I too late?" he asked, gasping a bit like he was out of breath.

Nessa scrunched up her face. "Too late?"

Bea rolled his eyes. "For the tea. I even brought drinks for the occasion." He brought me a mango bubble tea before handing one to Nessa, too. And then Beau sank into the chair at my desk, getting comfy as he said, "Tea on tea on tea on tea. I'm ready, let's do this."

His eyes shifted back and forth as he took a sip from his drink.

Nessa sat up so she could drink her bubble tea before smirking. "Madie was just about to spill about what happened with—"

"Oh, we all know what happened with Bren." Beau laughed, giving a dirty twist of his lips as he glanced at me. "I don't really need the details. I'll leave that to you two."

"Then—"

"I want the tea about you." Beau waved his finger at Nessa.

Her eyes shifted away, and I narrowed mine. "I thought you told me nothing happened?"