23 || where you stood

"You," Mrs. Kaspbrak spat the word with venom in her mouth as she pointed an accusing finger at all of you. She pulled her son behind her as if to shield him from the menaces that were seven thirteen-year-olds. "You did this. You know how delicate he is," she hissed, hurriedly leading him to her car.

"We were attacked, M-M-Mrs. K," Bill attempted to explain, but she cut him off.

"No! Don't." She turned back around to give him a withering look. "Don't try and blame anyone else."

She slammed the car door shut after ushering Eddie in and fumbled with her keys for a moment before dropping them on the ground.

"Let me help," Beverly offered kindly, leaning down to pick it up for her, but the older woman shoved her arm away forcefully.

"Get back!" she demanded, snatching her keys off of the ground and then proceeding to get all up in Beverly's face. "Oh, I've heard of you, Miss Marsh," she said condescendingly. "And I don't want a dirty girl like you touching my son."

In spite of Mrs. Kaspbrak's harsh and untrue words, Beverly remained stone-faced as she stared Eddie's mother down, whereas you didn't bother to mask the revulsion on your face.

"Mrs. K, I s-s-s-s-" It was the worst you'd seen Bill stutter all day.

"No!" Mrs. Kaspbrak barked, once again pointing an accusing finger at you. "You are all monsters. All of you. And Eddie is done with you? Do you hear? Done!"

Without another word, she walked around in front of her car and flumped into the driver's seat before aggressively pushing her key into the keyhole and starting the engine. The car let out a loud screech as it turned and the Kaspbraks speedily drove down the road, and the remaining seven of you walked out into the street to watch their car leave. Once it turned the corner and was out of sight, Bill turned to face all of you.

"I saw the well," he began with determination. "W-w-we know where it is and next time we'll be better prepared."

"No!" Stanley instantly shut him down, his voice shrill with distress. "No next time, Bill. You're insane!"

"Why?" Beverly countered. "We all know no one else is going to do anything."

"Eddie was nearly killed!" Richie exclaimed. "And look at this motherfucker." He pointed to Ben's bloody stomach. "He's a leaking hamburger helper!"

"We can't pretend it's gonna go away," Beverly said vehemently. "Ben, you said it yourself, It comes back every twenty-seven years."

"Fine!" Ben scoffed. "I'll be forty and far away from here. I thought you said you wanted to get out of this town, too."

"Because I wanna run towards something," Beverly rebuked. "Not away."

"I'm sorry, who invited Molly Ringwald into the group?" Richie asked, and Beverly flipped him off.

"Richie—" you started.

"I'm just saying, let's face facts. Real world," Richie insisted, agitated. He turned to Bill. "Georgie is dead. Stop trying to get us killed, too."

With those few words, you could see in his face that Richie managed to strike a nerve in Bill. He moved forward to walk away from the group, but Bill stopped him.

"Georgie's not dead."

Richie looked taken aback for a moment, before replying, "You couldn't save him, but you can still save yourself."

"No, t-t-t-take it back," Bill demanded, blocking him from leaving once more. "You're scared and we all are, but take it back!"

On the word "take," he shoved Richie backward, and your eyes widened to the size of saucers, never having seen this side of Bill before. Richie retaliated by pushing his shoulders, and in return, Bill threw a punch to Richie's face, knocking his glasses lopsided and causing him to fall onto the concrete harshly.

"Bill!" Beverly exclaimed, shocked.

Stanley and Mike quickly helped Richie get back onto his feet and did their best to hold him back as he thrashed around, attempting to hit Bill, while you and Ben did your best to hold Bill back from hitting Richie again.

"You're just a bunch of losers!" Richie shouted furiously. "Fuck off!"

"Richie, stop!" Stanley tried to intervene.

"You're just a bunch of losers and you'll get yourselves killed trying to catch a stupid fucking clown!"

"Stop!" Beverly screeched, putting a halt to the fight. Stanley and Mike let go of Richie and you and Ben let go of Bill.

"This is what It wants," Beverly said, looking around at all of you. "It wants to divide us." She paused for a moment to let her words sink in for everyone. "We were all together when we hurt It. That's why we're still alive."

"Yeah?" Richie spoke up, taking a careful look at everyone around him. "Well, I plan to keep it that way."

He walked over to where his bike laid on the ground with everyone else's, purposely shoulder-checking Bill on his way. Stanley silently followed after him, and Ben as well. As Stanley picked up his bike, which, for once, wasn't propped up by its kickstand, you locked eyes with him. He froze in his spot for a moment, as if he were afraid he had somehow let you down, but you gave him a small, sad smile.

And he knew where you stood.

"Mike..." Beverly called out to him as he began to walk away to join the others.

"Guys..." Mike turned around to face the three of you remaining, clearly helpless. "I can't do this. My granddad was right. I'm an outsider. Gotta stay that way."

He turned around to grab his bike on the grass, then rode off down the street just like the rest of your friends. When he turned the corner, both Bill and Beverly turned to you.

"Y/N?" Bill asked, looking at you hopefully. You were the only one who hadn't put in your input during the fight. You were the only one whose stance he didn't know.

"Bill..." His name left your lips regretfully, and he felt his face fall and his heart sink as you spoke. "I can't do this either. I'm sorry."

You looked over at Beverly, who had a dejected look on her face upon learning that, for the first time ever, you two were on opposite sides of the fence.

"Bev, you've always been braver than me." You offered her a halfhearted smile. "I guess this just goes to prove it."

With that, you walked over to grab your bike and hastily pedaled away, unable to look back and see the disappointment on both of their faces as they watched you disappear.