18

Two Weeks Later

"What do you mean you have to go again?"

A heavy sigh breaks through my lips and I stop packing my duffle bag to look up at Bucky who stands in my room.

"I can't help it, Buck. Stark needs my help back in New York" I respond tiredly.

Bucky crosses his arms over his chest and huffs out a sigh, shaking his head slightly and clenching his jaw.

"You just got here, Dawn. It's like I never see you anymore" he points out.

I drag a hand through my hair before letting it drop down to my side, shaking my own head slightly.

"What am I supposed to do? Do you think I want to be away from you so much?" I object.

Bucky looks off to the side, breaking eye contact with me and clenching his jaw tighter. When he looks back, his oceanic eyes are swirling with frustration and longing.

"What you want and what you do are two different things" He argues, making me look at him incredulously.

"That's not fair and you know it" I rebut, pointing a finger in his direction.

We don't fight often, so even one as small as this makes my stomach churn with nausea. I hate fighting with Bucky, especially when an inkling in the back of my head is saying that he's right. Bucky huffs out a sigh and uncrosses his arms, sitting down on the chair in my room and leaning his arms on his bounding knees.

"It's just that sometimes I feel like this...us....is your last priority when it's my only priority" Bucky admits, and I feel my heart twist painfully in my chest. Not because of anger, but because he thinks I don't care as much as he does - which he is completely justified in thinking considering how much time I spend away from him.

I sigh and walk up to where he sits. Once I'm before him, I let him lean his head onto my chest and let his arms rest on my hips. I run a hand through his long, dark hair as I try to find the right words to respond with.

"Bucky, I...I never knew you felt that way" my pain-filled voice draws out, pulling back slightly so he looks up at me with those gorgeous eyes that I could drown in, "I'm so sorry. Believe me when I say that you are the most important thing to me, nothing else matters if I don't have you"

"I shouldn't have gotten mad about it, though. I should have just said something earlier" He apologizes, but I shake my head, slipping my hands to his cheeks. He leans into my touch, resting his hand over my own.

"You have every right to call me out when I need it, I guess I'm a little stubborn and-"

"A little?" Bucky cuts in, that lopsided smirk pulling onto his lips. I chuckle softly, smiling down at him and slapping his shoulder lightly. Seriousness creeps back onto my features in a matter of moments and I let my smile drop.

"I'll do better," I vow, my heart twisting painfully again at the mere thought that the pain I saw in his eyes was caused by me, "I'll be here more often, prove to you how much you mean to me"

Bucky tugs me onto his lap, bringing me down to eye level with him. A genuine smile ghosts his lips and his hand moves to gently grip my chin.

"God I love you, doll" he breathes, making a jolt pulse through my body.

"I love you more"

"Impossible" Bucky declares, before bringing his lips to mine slowly and tenderly. When we pull back, I can't help but smile.