𝐭𝐞𝐧.

CHAPTER TEN

the curious case of kellan forrester

CLASSES WERE TEDIOUS for Betty now. She couldn't keep her mind on the subject at hand. In her usually academically motivated mind, there was only a slight buzzing like a fly hovering over day old meat in a dingy corner shop. She needed a competition. She needed someone to start beating her academically in order for her motivation to come back, but so far, no one could yet. And James seemed to have lost his spark for the time being, so fighting him was no longer as it had been.

So, Potions, which she normally considered to be her second favorite subject, closely following Charms, became the epitome of hell and she was exhilarated once she was finally released. However, as much as she needed a shift in her life — something big and screaming to snap her out of the daily, lethargic motions, she wanted something familiar. And the walls of Hogwarts will always listen if you ask for something enough.

So, low and behold, leaning against the dungeon wall was Kellan Forrester, waiting.

"Betty!" he exclaimed, causing her to whip her head around from the conversation she was having with Aisling.

"Yes?" Betty asked with a quirked eyebrow as she stared at the unrecognizable, yet familiar boy.

"Can I ... can I talk to you really quickly, alone?" Kellan asked as he scratched the back of his neck and flicked his eyes over to Aisling.

Betty looked at him with no emotion in her eyes for a couple of seconds before nodding. He had been kind to her and Lily in library. Boyfriend-like. Something that she might have needed and wanted in that moment.

"You go ahead," Betty told Aisling with a small smile.

"Betty, I don't think — " Aisling protested as she looked warily at Kellan.

"I'll be fine," Betty said softly. "What's the worst that could happen?"

"Alright," she said, never looking away from Kellan. "I'll see you in the common room?"

"Yeah," Betty said as she smiled softly and waved her off. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I ... uh ... I heard about your mum," Kellan revealed awkwardly.