27. Worlds Apart

EM

The lights glinted off the pristine track as Jenson Button and Daniel Ricciardo battled once more for the lead, the cars neck and neck as they approached the penultimate bend. The spectators held their breath as the cars screamed into the corner, barely a hairs width between them. Suddenly the rear of Jenson's car kicked out, catching the wing of the Red Bull and sending it flipping into the air. I couldn't help but cry out as I watched the car spiralling almost in slow motion before it hit the barrier with a sickening crunch and dropped to the ground, the driver rigid and motionless.

"And Jenson Button wins....again!"

Under ordinary circumstances these words would have filled me with unbridled joy.

These were NOT ordinary circumstances.

"You cheating bastard!"

I rushed over to the stricken car, ignoring the barriers that stood in my way. Inspecting it carefully I picked it up and placed it gently back on the track to at least complete the race with my honour, if perhaps not my temper, intact. 

"What's with all the noise?" A sleepy voice enquired from the doorway where Mum stood wearing a dressing gown and rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"Sorry Mum - I couldn't sleep and Dad was still up so we decided to have another race and he cheated and took me off and..."

"Fine..fine..." she sighed wearily "can you keep the door closed at least"

I did as I was told and closed the door behind her retreating figure, before turning back and fixing my father with a withering stare. He in turn refused to look remotely remorseful, a smug grin plastered across his face.

"Right you bastard - REMATCH"

SEVERAL HOURS EARLIER...

The box had arrived while I was sleeping...again. The migraines that had plagued me since the journey home were easing now, but the constant fatigue was not - I was falling asleep at random hours of the day yet the pain in my ribs made it impossible to get comfortable at night. 

"EMILY - PARCEL!"

Mum's soprano shout had rudely awoken me from my slumber in the oversized armchair. It wasn't the only surprise that she had instore either.

"Darren called while you were asleep, I told him you were having a nap and that you'd call him back when you woke up. I hope you don't mind?"

Shit! I swore to myself, and then swore outloud just for good measure. 

Ringing Darren was an unwelcome task that I'd been putting off ever since I arrived home. I didn't want to admit to him that my chances of flying to Singapore were diminishing rapidly. I didn't really want to admit it to myself either but I forced myself to pick up the phone and confront reality. 

"Darren? It's Emily"

"Emily! Hi, how are you feeling?"

 "I'm fine" I lied, thankful that this was an audio-only phone call. Looking the way I did at the moment I knew that I wasn't fooling anybody. My face was that ashen grey that comes from too much pain and too little sleep. It contrasted with the clear blue sky and vivid colours outside the window. It matched my mood. 

"Is that why you were asleep in the middle of the afternoon?" he observed shrewdly. 

Okay I WILL be fine" I corrected a little more honestly.