C H A P T E R 4 8

T E A R S gathered in Saliha's eyes as she entered her elder brother's bedroom

T E A R S gathered in Saliha's eyes as she entered her elder brother's bedroom. Tomorrow was the final case hearing. The whole situation had been sped up thanks to an angel they had found. Mustafa Kamal, had been nothing short of that. His economical support helped make everything go smooth. With the session he book for her, Saliha could feel herself losing the guilt she held on to.

Her eyes were filled with tears just imagining the situation that would be faced tomorrow in court. She would have to stand infront of a crowd of men, who would judge her. It was up to the judge to pass a judgement. And she knew, she would never be able to challenge it. In her heart, all she hoped for was justice given to her.

For the past two months, she and her brother Asif, had done nothing but go to hearing upon hearing. Each session, the verdict would be pushed forward. She was tired. Her heart no longer burned with the desire of putting the culprit behind bars. The system had broken her.

"Saliha kia huwa?" Asif inquired, shocked on the state of her sister.
"Bhai agar kal bhi jqwab na mila tou? Mujh mein ab court keh chakar lagany ki himat nahi hai". She told him about her worries.
Asif sighed. He knew she was not wrong to feel that way. Having to recite the incident every two weeks, only helped worsen her emotional stability. Taking her back ten steps each time.
"Nahi bachay. Kal Mustafa bhai saath hon gai. Keh rahay thay apni biwi bhi lain gai tumhari tasali keh liye. Bas Allah par bharoosa karo. Hmm?" The trust filled eyes of Asif, peered down at his sister.

She nodded, believing that her elder brother would always be correct. Her worries started to dim away, like the power going out on a rainy day. She returned to her bedroom, eyeing the white shalwaar kameez placed on her bed. The white of it, a symbolic image of her innocence. Saliha lay down in her bed, closing her eyes. Her lips mumbled countless duas as she let the world of dreams take over.

The next morning, the sun was bright. The wind was cool. The gentle breeze touched the skin, giving birth to a feeling of coolness. A stark contrast to the usual sweaty April days.

Everyone at court sported masks. Making it difficult to identify anyone. But she was glad. At least this way no one would stare at her face. Saliha let out a shaky breath under the surgical mask that covered her heart shaped lips. Wiping her forehead, not because of sweat, but just out of sheer nervousness.

Asif led her into the court room. Shielding her from the many mangnay walay that roamed the area. Hoping to make some cash off of people's miseries.
"Ghabrwo nahi, Saliha. Hum tumharay saath hain," Asif spoke gently to her.
Moving forward to meet Mustafa and Hoor who had already arrived.

The formal greetings were short lived for the judge entered the room. After which, Shahrukh was led in, his hands tied. On the opposite end of the room, Shahrukh's family sat. Eyeing Mustafa, with jealousy. Had he sided with them, he could have easily paid off the officers and the case would have ended before even starting.