Chapter 23

*** A month later ***

Jessica had recently been to the hospital regarding her sickness bug that she couldn't quite shake, she was awaiting her results. Though Jessica didn't mention anything to her dad or Charlie, she didn't want to worry them. A letter came through the post to confirm something she had been feeling all along.

'I'm not pregnant' she thought, Jessica sighed out loud.

"Jess, are you alright?" her father asked, Jessica scrambled the letter into her pocket, even if it was negative she still didn't want her father knowing that she thought she was pregnant.

"Yes, I thinking about going to see Charlie for a while," Jessica said, Mr Harper smiled at her.

"Will you be alright on your own?" Jessica asked,

"Of course I will," Mr Harper said, wrapping his arms around her, Jessica felt suffocated when he father held her close to him. Jessica was all he had and hated the truth that one day she would marry and have a life of her own.

"What if I left River here with you?" Jessica suggested, looking down at River who was spinning around in circles trying to catch her tail.

"That would be nice but wouldn't you miss her," Mr Harper asked

"Yes, but you'd have company then," Jessica said "and she'll keep you busy,"

"Alright, I guess you should get packing then," Mr Harper said, Jessica threw her arms around him.

Jessica hurried up to her room, pack a lot more clothes than she had before, not actually working there this time though she wouldn't mind accompanying Charlie a few mornings. 'Never did I think I'd want to do that' Jessica shivered at the thought.

Jessica dragged her suitcase, down the stairs she had become so used to not using magic while serving her sentence that she almost forget she had a wand. She took out her wand flicking it at her suitcase which levitated it down the remaining stairs.

"You all ready?" Mr Harper asked, Jessica nodded, hugging her father she hated leaving him, but at least he would have River to keep him company. Jessica picked up River, cuddling her, kissing the top of her head between her ears.

Meanwhile, in Romania, Charlie had been keeping himself busy, he didn't like not having Jessica here with him. He used all his time, trying the prepare the 11-month-old Dragon for his first flight test. It was a dangerous task, but it kept his mind busy.

Mrs Winters was worried he was going to get hurt with his head not in the right frame of mind, to busy trying to take the focus away from missing Jessica that he wasn't being careful enough. Charlie returned from the Dragon's cave, covered in mud.

"He's still not ready?" Mrs Winters questioned

"No, it was a really bad fall this time, he's okay though, he shook it off," Charlie explained, heading upstairs for a shower.

Mrs Winters gathered the washing preparing to the laundry, she heard a knock at the door, 'That's strange we aren't expecting anyone?' she thought. She wiped her hands going to answer the door,

"Jessica, oh it's wonderful you see you dear," she hugged Jessica, bringing her bag inside.

"It's good to see you too," Jessica said,

"Why didn't you tell us you were coming?"

"I wanted to surprise Charlie, do you know where he is?" she asked

"He's in the shower," Mrs Winters told her smiling at her,

Jessica snuck upstairs to Charlie's room, she laid down on his bed, propping herself up on her elbow, she ruffled her hair, brushing it back. She unbuttoned the first three buttons of her shirt. All she had to do now was wait for Charlie to come in.

"Mrs Winters remind me to check on Daisy later," Charlie said, Jessica sat upon his bed, buttoning up her shirt, she sat up, folding her arms over her chest, crossing her leg.

"Jess," Charlie said, he rushed over to her, but she put her hand out to stop him "What are you doing here?" he asked Jessica held her finger up to shush him

"Who's Daisy?" she asked,

"What?"

"Who's Daisy? Charlie," she warned him, he laughed

"You're adorable, do you know that," he said smirking at her

"Who is she?" Jessica demanded

"Let me get dressed and I'll introduce you to her," Jessica lifted her nose in the air turning her head away when he leaned in to kiss her.

"So adorable," he said, he kissed her cheek, Jessica wiped her cheek, waving her hand to slap him but he dodged her.

Jessica waited outside his room, how could he see someone else, and act as though it was nothing. Jessica was thoroughly annoyed, she would have rather stayed home with her dad and River than come back to this. How could he do this to her? Did he do this with everyone who worked for him? He walked out of his room smiling at the scowl on Jessica's face.

"Come on," Charlie said, reaching to hold Jessica's hand, she whipped her hand away from him, Charlie chuckled rolling his eyes at her.

Charlie guided Jessica out of the house to the holding pens, 'no wonder Charlie liked her, Daisy liked creatures too,' Jessica thought. Jessica heard a lot of noise coming from the pens 'I could do a better job than, Daisy' Jessica smiled, thinking that she must be doing a bad job for the creature to make so much noise.

"Jessica, meet Daisy,"