Chapter 29 - December 31st

{Y/N's POV}

It's December 31st. I knew what that meant. It was Tom's birthday. He was currently out looking for Horcruxes. I doubted the fact that he knew it was his birthday since he was always out and busy.

"I should get him a last minute gift," I said to myself.

I hopped out of bed and got ready for the day. I tied my hair up and wore a plain outfit that wouldn't attract attention since I was going to be in Diagon Alley again. Once I perfected myself, I grabbed a quill and some ink. I looked around for a document and found some in his drawer.

+++

Dear Tommy,

I got bored so I'll be out for a bit. Don't worry, I won't be gone long. I'll be back soon, you won't even notice. I love you.

Love, Y/N.

+++

I grabbed my cloak and wand. I closed my eyes and imagined Diagon Alley. The small buildings and the noisy animals at Penelopses' Pets and More. I imagined the crowded street and the candy shop that was always full of young children. The bakeries' that sold fresh bread and desserts.

I opened my eyes and found myself in front of Ollivander's wand shop. I had no business there, so I turned around and walked around, scrolling for a gift. I remembered to make sure to buy a cake for Tom as well. It was hard to believe we were going to be seventeen.

It felt like yesterday when Tom had made the snake bite Jeremiah and when we'd snuck in Ms. Feather's room to steal her jewelry. We sold her jewelry and had used the cash to buy more books and snacks since we weren't allowed to have snacks back at the orphanage.

I came upon Penelopes' Pets and More and went inside. At the counter, I heard Penelope speak.

"Welcome to Penelopes' Pets and More. Are you looking for a certain animal?" she asked me.

"No, I'm just looking around for a bit," I said.

She nodded and went back to taking notes on a creature in a cage. The creature was small. About a foot or so. It looked like a red panda and sloth mixed. I had never seen the creature before, but I also didn't take interest in it. I didn't want to be gone long as Tom could become suspicious and come look for me. That would ruin the surprise.

I went to the back and saw various creatures. From big to small, black to white, ugly to hideous, and graceful to lazy, there were too many to choose from. I knew Tom had a simple, but elegant taste.

I came upon a snake. Its jet-black scales glittered.

"A female venomous snake found in Indonesia," I read the tag under the cage.

The snake hissed at me. "I think Tom will like you," I said and carefully grabbed the cage.

I walked up to the counter and set the cage down.

"I'd like to purchase her, please," I told Penelope.

Her eyes widened.

"Are you sure? She's had many buyers, but has been returned several times due to accidents," Penelope warned.

I smile. "I'm sure."

Penelope nodded. "Ok, if you say so."

Once I purchased the snake, I walked around a bit more to look for a cake. My senses brought me to a small bakery. Yes, out of all of the divine and large bakeries, I went to a small one. Besides, it was just going to be Tom and I so I remembered to buy a small cake.

"Welcome to Belinghams' Bakes," yelled a man from the back door.

"Hello," I replied sweetly and continued looking around. There were many cakes, but I didn't know which one to get Tom. He didn't like things too simple or too extra.