XV

"How's Vegas?" I asked my mother sullenly over the phone

"How's Vegas?" I asked my mother sullenly over the phone. I had gotten back from Jacksons 10 minutes ago and had been beyond relieved to find the apartment empty, void of all intruders for a little while. Especially since I hadn't been able to stop crying since I left. Even now, tears still stung my eyes, as I leaned against the wall, listening to my mom lie about how much she missed me.

"Oh, sweetie, it's wonderful here, I really will have to take you someday," She's been saying that for years. I never believed her, and so far, I had been right. Mom was a fan of empty promises. We both knew she never meant what she said, but neither of us would ever say that out loud. It would be a waste of breath for either of us."How are things there? Excited for Christmas?"

I wasn't even sure why she brought it up. Maybe she thought the holiday would be easier since she didn't have to see me. I couldn't care less either way.

"Ma, the boys are here," I said, ignoring her question. I had no reason not to tell her. Although, I truly had no idea how she felt about my brothers this year. It seemed to change as often as the seasons. She could be over the moon that they were here, or she could be livid that they'd show up. There was no telling with Mom. "You mean-" I could practically feel the drop in the uncharacteristically cheery mood she always wore when she called me from wherever she ended up. I think she tried to pretend it was normal, while she was away. Like she was like other moms, just going on a business trip or something, not abandoning me for a month. Like another empty promise, she liked to pretend she had fulfilled.

"You mean my sons? They're there?"

I sighed, trying to gauge what her reaction was. I couldn't tell if it was quiet joy or bubbling anger. "Yeah. Well, four of them are. The other two are coming soon." She hummed through the receiver. I inhaled a breath of the cigarette as I waited. This was the fourth I had smoked today alone. I was smoking a lot more these days. The more stressful life became, the more my body craved release from it all. And smoking was a good way to get it.

"They're all there, huh? After fucking years of nothing."

I hummed. "Hey, did you know Emmett was married?" I asked quickly.

Mom didn't say anything for a second. "Yeah. Yeah, I knew. He didn't fucking invite us to the wedding, but yeah, I knew he was getting married. His wife's a bitch from what I've heard. And whore, if what people say about her is true." I heard Mom take a swig of something over the line. I didn't have to guess to know what it was. Vodka, without a doubt. It was 1 Pm after all.

"Yeah well, I don't know if Emmett's bringing his whore wife with him, but I do know him and Jules are coming soon."

Mom hummed again, and I could tell she was losing touch with me a little. Whether that was from the alcohol or emotion, I couldn't tell.

"Hey, Mom, is there any way you can come home sooner? Like before Christmas?" I asked softly.

"Why?"