Chapter 27 : "purple tulips"

'Cause my darling,

you and I could take over the world,

one step at a time,

just you and I.

- Just You and I : Tom Walker

\ purple tulips ~ admiration, elegance \

{Levi pov}

"Goodnight, sweetheart." I told her.

As I was driving home, I couldn't get the feeling of her lips on mine out of my head. God, she was driving me crazy. I've had my fair share of kisses, but I guess when you're really in love with someone, the intensity of kiss changes, because the way we were kissing was like we knew we were running on borrowed time.

She was going to quit her job soon because of the treatments, and I think I want her to move in with me. She's definitely not going to agree, but I have to persuade her someway. Alison is leaving to England in 2 months, and she'll be all alone in her apartment.

"Good morning, sweetheart." I leaned against my car, watching her make her way to me. She looked so adorable, jumping into my open arms. Her hair was braided today, and she was wearing black crop top with light blue jeans.

 Her hair was braided today, and she was wearing black crop top with light blue jeans

"Good morning." She smiled bashfully, before kissing me on the lips shyly, just a light peck which was clearly not enough.

I tilted her chin towards me, cradling the side of her face, and kissing her deeply. She returned the kiss with as much passion.

"Come on, get in." I placed my hand on her lower back, gently leading her into the passenger seat, where there was a bouquet of purple tulips.

"Purple!" She took the bouquet, inhaling the scent of the flowers

"Purple!" She took the bouquet, inhaling the scent of the flowers. "Thanks, Levi. You still haven't told me why you're getting me these tulip bouquets." She said.

"There's no reason at all, I just love seeing your face light up when you see the flowers and your blush when you read the card." I said, driving to the hospital, glancing at every once in a while.

"That's really sweet, thanks Levi. I-I really appreciate it, it means a whole lot to me." She said, taking out the card.

" To my sweetheart,

Purple symbolises admiration and elegance.

You are the strongest woman I've ever known,

and I admire you,

I still cannot believe I get to call you mine,

let's go kiss cancer's ass goodbye, baby.

From, your sweetheart."

She carefully placed the card back, and she was silent. For a while, I thought I did something wrong, until I saw her hurriedly wipe her tears away. I pulled the car over almost immediately.

"Sweetheart, baby, don't cry," I reached over the console, and hugged her. She started crying even more, I could feel her tears drench my shirt and it felt like my heart was torn apart seeing her cry.

"I'm sorry, Levi. I didn't mean to, I just, I don't know what I did to deserve you." She sniffled.

"Echo, look at me." She slowly looked at me, I used my thumb to wipe her tears away.

"It's the other way around, baby. I don't know what I did to deserve you, and I'm sorry for making you wait so long. We're going to be okay, alright?" I assured her.

"I love you." She said.

"I love you more, sweetheart." I said, causing her to chuckle softly.

At the hospital, the doctor told us about the duration of her treatments, the side effects and the necessary steps before and after the treatment. It was like there was this light at the end of the tunnel, but she and I both know that the light is faint, and it could disappear at any moment, but I promised her that I'd walk with her through the darkness, no matter what.

The next piece of news shocked us, when we found out Patrice was undergoing an emergency surgery, and she might not be able to make it. We waited outside the operation theatre after we found out. Echo was pacing relentlessly, fumbling with her shaking hands. Unfortunately, she did not make it.

Echo did not handle the news well, she started hyperventilating, her breaths inconsistent. I tried hugging her to calm her down, but it was useless. The doctors came in, injecting a mild tranquilliser, to calm her. She slowly fell asleep, and I was sitting by her side, just watching her.

My mind went back to Patrice, I knew that, that could happen to Echo too, and I think she knew it too. I can't thank Patrice enough for all she's done for us, mostly for Echo, conforming her, listening to her, and being there for her.

"Hey, sweetheart." I gently rasped, seeing her slightly open her eyes.

"Levi? Why am I here?" She opened her eyes even more, trying to sit up.

I held her, pulling her up to sit carefully, "You passed out, they had to give you an injection."

She nodded, before saying, "That could be me, Levi. I-I don't want to die, I want to live, I want to have children with you, I want to see my grandkids, I want to travel the world, I want...to marry you, to be yours, I don't want to die, Levi." She cried, cradling her face with her two palms.

I didn't know what to say, because I knew that whatever I told her now, would be of no use.

I wish I could share the pain with her, kiss the pain away, hold her forever, but I was equally as afraid as her. Losing her would kill me.

I lightly took her hands in mine, caressing them.

"Sweetheart, remember you wrote about my eyes in the letter you gave me? You said you saw galaxies in my eyes, and my eyes were your favourite pair to drown into and fall in love with. So sweetheart, let me tell you why you're the only one who sees galaxies in them. That's because you are the whole damn galaxy, baby, you're seeing your own reflection in my eyes, and that's exactly how I see you, because sweetheart, you really are the strongest woman I know, and I've been yours from day one. It's you and me, sweetheart, just you and me, let's do this one step at a time, alright sweetheart?"

She was my galaxy, my entire universe, and the world had nothing against us.