Chapter 31 : "forever yours"

You could put an ocean

between our love, love, love,

it won't keep us apart.

- Ocean : Martin Garrix, Khalid

{Echo pov}

Everyone in life is somewhat given an expiry date, whether we like it or not. The difference with a human expiry date, is that we'd never know, never be able to expect it, never ready. No matter how educated or experienced the doctors are, they are just as human as we are.

The day my side effects started showing, I knew it would be harder than it already was to accept the fact that my expiry date might come earlier than usual. However, it wasn't the side effects that scared me, it was the look on Levi's face, he looked helpless, vulnerable and broken, and it was because of me.

I couldn't help crying in the bathroom when the tears willingly flowed, but when he held me when we were dancing, I knew this would hurt him more than me.

But that's life isn't it? It moves on, and you have to pretend that everything is okay, when nothing really is.

Waking up next to Levi was a gift, one that I'd always be grateful for. The way he would smile sweetly at me, leaning in to kiss my forehead, telling me stories about how he's helped teenagers overcome depression, grumbling about his work, and then intertwining my fingers with his, while kissing each star on the bracelet, it was my most precious gift.

When we got out of bed, he told me he would make pancakes, so I went to freshen up. The moment I went to the kitchen, I leaned against the doorframe, looking at his figure, he had his back facing me, while he was washing up.

 The moment I went to the kitchen, I leaned against the doorframe, looking at his figure, he had his back facing me, while he was washing up

God, he looked so handsome, so domestic.

He turned around, patting his wet hands on his sweatpants, looking at me standing there. His eyes widened a little, before smirking, when he realised I was staring.

"Sweetheart?"

"Hmm?" I replied still in a daze, admiring his toned biceps.

He rolled his eyes playfully, "Sit, sweetheart. Time to eat. Real food." He tucked a chair out for me to sit, emphasising the real food.

After drinking our coffees, he had to go to work, and I was going to see Layla. She was leaving Paris with Lucas, they bought a house back in our home country, and settle down there.

I was so happy for them, but I definitely was going to miss Layla. Alison and I catch up at least once a week, and she's having her own fashion show soon.

"Hey, you!" Layla hugged me.

"Hey, back at you!" I returned the hug.

"So? Are ya'll planning to get married anytime soon then?" I sipped my iced latte.

"No, not anytime soon, but definitely planning on it." She said, cheerfully.

"How are you, Echo? How are you, really?" Layla softly asked.

I sighed, leaning back on the chair. "The side effects are getting worst, and I think it's spreading."

"How are your family taking it?"

"They're supportive, encouraging, but I think everyone's just putting up a strong face upfront for me, you know, it's not like they can tell me anything either."

She hummed in response, "And how's Levi taking it?"

I fumbled with my fingers, looking down at them, "My nose bled in front of him and his face...he looked broken, like he couldn't fix it."

"Echo, whatever happens, don't ever blame yourself, the more you do, the more he'd question if he did enough for you or not. It's not worth it, let him worry, let him care, he loves you, that's why he's doing all these."

"I know, Layla, I know, but I can't help but think that he could have someone else rather than me, someone he wouldn't have to go through all these trouble for."

"The past 6 years of knowing Levi more than I ever did back in high school, I know that idiot would never once think of you as a burden, he's the type to stay forever yours, and that's why I always rooted for the both of you."

I wiped away some of my fallen tears, "Thanks Layla, I-I really am going to miss you."

"Me too, Echo. But I'll always be with you, alright, be it just a call or text away. Take good care of yourself, alright?"

"I will."

{Levi pov}

The day before Lucas and Layla were leaving, we decided to meet for dinner. I was driving home from my office, to pick Echo.

Before I could open the door, she opened it first, and oh what a sight to see.

"I thought it was you!" She giggled.

I scanned her attire, and I pushed her back in.

"Hell no, you're not wearing this out

"Hell no, you're not wearing this out." I said sternly. It was too little for my liking.

"Levi!" She whined and swatted my chest.

"No. Go change, Echo. Don't fight me on this." I firmly stated.

"Levi, we're just meeting Layla and Lucas, I thought it looked good on me." She said, glancing at her attire.

"Oh, you look good, alright, you look sexy as fuck, Echo, and it's sure going to attract a lot of attraction, sweetheart, so please, change."

"No, Levi. I can wear what I want, now, let's go." Ugh she's definitely bossy, that's for sure.

I took off my suit jacket, draping them over her shoulders, pulling her closer to me, and bit her ear lobe teasingly, before whispering, "Sweetheart, you're one little devil, aren't you, tempting your own boyfriend, making me jealous huh?"

"Levi...I..." Her eyes closed, breath hitched, face flushed, just the way I wanted her to get.

I made sure she was pretty much fully covered, until I said, "You're not taking this off until we come back home, okay?"

"Overprotective, jealous, handsome, idiot, cute, cocky" She mumbled, pushing me off.

I laughed behind her, back hugging her, "All yours, sweetheart."

All hers, forever.