XVI

"Don't even think about it," I growled walking past the living room where they were all sitting

"Don't even think about it," I growled walking past the living room where they were all sitting. I just wanted some food before I starved, otherwise I would have stayed right where I was on the fire escape. It was nearing midnight. They had been talking loudly all night long, but all the chatter had stopped abruptly the second they heard the floorboards outside my door creak. Emmett had been the one to start to stand up from the couch, and I hoped for his sake, that he sat back down. I cringed when I heard footsteps behind me while I was crouched in the fridge.

"I know you don't want to see me, but I figured I would come to say hi anyway," Emmett said softly. I ignored him and grabbed my drink and a bag of pretzels someone had left on the counter.

"Tell Cameron if he drinks one more of Gatorade, I'll kill him," I muttered as I walked by. Emmett reached out and grabbed my arm gently. He was taller than I remember. Though, I don't see how he could have gotten taller. He was already 25 when he left here. I was eight. He said he would be back in a few weeks. He hadn't been home in four years. I had so many reasons to hate him the most. But I could only yell at so many brothers a day, and as of right now, I'm still recovering from my interaction with Jules.

"Get off me," I snapped, ripping my forearm back to my side. He threw his hands up in defense, looking at me with his usual emotionless expression.

"I don't want to fight with you, I just wanted to say hello. It's been a while."

I rolled my eyes. "And who's fault is that?" I hissed in a whisper.

He sighed softly. "Look, Jules told me about what you were saying outside, and I just wanted to say-" He cut himself off with a sigh. "Shit, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry. I guess I never realized you'd be upset with us for leaving."

I looked at him incredulously. "You didn't realize? How stupid are you?" I said louder than intended, but not gravely so. I hoped they all heard. I hope they hear a million times over how much they hurt me. Maybe then, it may finally sink in. "You told me you'd be back in a few weeks. Four fucking years later, you show up, and you didn't realize how fucked up that is?" He looked down at me with wide eyes, as if this was new information for him. Maybe I gave him too much credit. Maybe he was that stupid.

"I'm sorry Felicity. I am. How can I make it better?" He asked so softly, it almost made me feel bad for yelling at him. Emmett was the kind of person who always made you smile. He was always my safety as a little kid. My warmth, and my protection. Emmett and Wren were the two that hurt the most. They were my everything growing up, and when they left, I felt like I had nothing. And you can't just refill that void once it exists. His tone almost made me feel bad. But however important he was to me as a kid, I had to remember that he lied. He was a liar. And I am a lot of not-good things, but I can confidently say I have never been a liar.

"Leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you, and I don't want to see you." I said coldly. I went to walk away again, but once more, his hand wrapped around my bicep before I could. "Get the fuck off me!" I yelled.