[ 11 | by the lake's edge ]

AND SO, NOVEMBER CARRIED ON,
and with it, the cold wind invited itself in, leaves had already fallen off all trees, Christmas was beginning to whisper around the corner, as were exams. But, having passed the Ravenclaw against Slytherin Quidditch match (with a victory for Ravenclaw), it meant Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff was just around the corner, before anyone could enjoy the holiday break.

Three days of practice per week turned into four, and the only reason it hadn't gone up to five was Dominique pointing out some people wanted to live outside of Quidditch. This, James claimed was rubbish, but decided to be the bigger person, and agree.

Hands calloused as they'd ever been (easily rivarling how they'd turned out after a few rough Herbology lessons), cheeks permanently red from the dire need hydration, and both arms and legs positively aching from stretching out and holding herself on the broom for so long, Lucy was positively stressed.

And Thomas still dared say "but you're sitting down the whole time?"

'Not a real sport' his arse.

"We're done, aren't we? Done?" Called Lucy, the golden snitch's tiny wings trying to flutter their way out of her fist's firm grasp.

"If I swing this again, it's gonna take my arm with it, as well!" Fred added, waving his bat around, actively pretending that the bludger that was evidently chasing Hector around didn't exist.

Luckily, James agreed this time (it had absolutely nothing to do with him being just a little ditzy from going from hoop to hoop trying to keep every quaffle out). It took the lot a while to get the nasty bludger off of Hector's trail, but five minutes later, the seven players were safely down on the ground.

"Hufflepuff's gonna suck it real nice. They are so gonna suck it," Collete Blanc said triumphantly, despite being out of breath, she was grinning.

As much as Lucy would usually love to stay around (gossip with the team really was an experience), she had quite the urge to get moving, lie down in the common room, and try to convince Thomas, once again, to please do her homework.

"Ta-ra, team. See you at home." She gave a twirl of her fingers, something she'd seen Aurora do from time to time (though Lucy's was nowhere near as graceful as hers).

With the passing November, James Sirius Potter had come to realise a few things, most importantly, perhaps, was feelings that came back, were feelings that had never really left. He was not mad that he'd fancied the same person for a good three years now, he was mad at the fact that all that time had been spent trying to ignore it, brushing it under the rug, laughing it away as he claimed it to be an impossibility.

Three years he had wasted on that, so when he did choose to let it in, it was something completely different, like learning to walk, knowing he'd been able to perfectly run before.

"Are you done?"

"Hold on, it's getting there."

"That's what she said."

"Good one, Freddie," James had to admit, laughter filling his voice, "Okay. See you at home. Good practice, love the lot of you." He nodded, rushing past the remaining five members.

Sixth sense, intuition, predictability, whatever it was, Lucy knew he was there a moment before he said, "All right, Stewart?"