nine: the wound

"So, you remember nothing about how you got this?" Jeff asked me, examining the wound. I rolled my eyes in annoyance "No of course not, would be easier if I did though."

"Well, if you ask me, I would say it's a stab wound. It's decently healed though so not too much to worry about." I turned my head to Newt, shooting him with a look that says 'I told you so', as I allowed a smirk to appear on my lips. He rolled his eyes at me, trying to fight a smile.

"Just to be sure though I'm going to bandage it up. I don't want you accidentally catching it on something and bleeding everywhere." I nodded as Jeff stood up to leave the room. We were in the homestead as we wanted to leave the girl to her slumber.

Newt sat down next to me again, looking pleased with himself. "See? It was a good idea coming here." He said raising his eyebrows at me with a cheeky smile.

"He said it was nothing to worry about." I replied, moving ever so slightly closer to him. "That's not what it sounded like to me, it sounded like you got stabbed a little while back." He changed his tone from playful to concern very quickly as I straightened my posture up again.

"Why would someone stab you?" His question took me by surprise, mostly because I had absolutely no idea how to answer it.

"I don't know." I said softly, looking down at the floor.

Honestly, I wasn't too shocked to find out that I had previously had someone out there with a vendetta against me. If all my previous relationships were like my one with Gally, then I'm surprised I only had one major wound on my body. I clearly had a knack for making enemies with guys with temperament problems.

He moved back in his seat before crossing his arms in front of himself. He looked as if he was going to say something before Minho and Thomas entered, being followed closely behind by Gally and Frypan. "We thought we find you two in here."

"What is it?" Newt said standing to his feet.

"We found this. It was inside a Griever." Both mine and Newt's heads shot in Thomas' direction. "You went back into the maze? Tommy, you know that's not allowed." The boy explained, trying to show him that he was being serious.

"I know but look, these are the same letters we get in our supplies." Everyone was examining the slimy looking piece of machinery, barely paying attention to what the boy was saying. My eyes immediately locked on the large lettering.

W.C.K.D.

Just like on my arm. Why does it seem like I am the only one here with that word sprawled down my wrist?

"Whoever put us in here obviously made the Grievers." The boy turned back to Minho to address him directly. "This is the first real clue, the first anything, you've found in over three years. Right, Minho?"

"Right."

"Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us?" He looked desperate, almost begging for the boy to agree with him.

Gally scoffed from behind him, leaning against the wooden pole by the door. "You see what he's trying to do right? First he breaks our rules and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally." Gally turns towards Newt again, looking for his approval.

"The rules are the only thing that has ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?" he moved forward slightly, getting closer to the rest of us.

"If Alby was here you know he'd agree with me. This shank needs to be punished."

Newt rubbed his chin, thinking over what they had both just told him.