chap. 32

"Isn't this the place where we fought that ruin hunter?", Childe asked with a curious gaze, as he pointed his finger to the direction of the familiar spot.

(y/n) nodded, as they came closer. Sunlight shone through the clouds, lighting up the area around them.

The ruin hunter disappeared; only some traces of its crash were left, the grass trampled where it had landed.

Childe kneeled down, his fingers gently tracing along the imprint on the floor. His gaze curiously wandered to (y/n) when he heard her hum thoughtfully.

"Is anything wrong?"

"This just doesn't feel right. Ruin hunters usually never go to places like these"

The Fatui slightly squinted his eyes as he let her words sink in.

"Hm.. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but-"

A sudden groan escaped his lips, interrupting him, and he grimaced, his injured arm starting to hurt again. He sighed, silently praying to find Qiqi soon.

(y/n) slightly grinned at the sight in front of her, before turning her attention towards the path in front of them again.

While continuing their walk, Childe started to talk a lot about his family and snezhnaya.

"My dad and i always used to go ice fishing", with a smile, he recalled the memory while kicking small rocks out of the way.

(y/n) looked at him from the side of her eye, slight amusement taking over her.

"And Teucer! I'm sure you'd like him", Childe added with excitement on his voice as his walk quickened. The female chuckled, as she listened to him taking about his family with passion.

Wind made the grass sway around, old leaves slowly falling off some trees and meeting the ground as a gentle breeze blew them off.

The Fatui felt his body fill up with happiness as the image of his little brother appeared in his mind.

A quiet hum pulled him out of his thoughts; with furrowed brows he turned around to (y/n) who stared at the floor with squinted eyes.

His gaze immediately followed hers, suddenly meeting unusual footprints spread all across the ground.

An irk mark appeared on his forehead as he bent down to take a closer look at them.

They were about as big as a smaller dog, meaning that the creatures that caused them were probably gigantic.

He looked back up to (y/n), gentle warmth spreading through his body as he saw her thoughtful expression.

The footprints looked fresh and the dirt was still a little stirred up. Childe averted his gaze back to the floor and closed his eyes as he tried to figure out who the footprints belonged to.

"Ruin Guards", (y/n) swiftly said as if she could read his mind. He slowly formed an "Ah" with his mouth, before the female spoke up again.

"What are they doing here?"

The Harbinger shrugged his shoulders in response, starting to feel a little exhausted from his injuries and all the movement. "Lets get going. The sooner we find Qiqi, the better"

(y/n) looked at him with doubt in her eyes, but seeing him in such a bad condition made her sigh quietly. "Sure.. but be careful"

The female looked at the path in front of them again, which lead to the place with the mist flowers. The strange footprints leading right into that direction.

————
The book is finally getting to its end.. thank you for reading so far!