Chapter 19: Fatal Truths

[Just a warning that this chapter gets a little violent. I'm not sure where you all stand with it, but I just wanted to put it out there. If you don't feel like you want to read something like that, I totally understand. I love you all !! ]

Felicity and I were in the bathroom when it happened. I was re-applying lipstick and Felicity was twisting her hair into a bun.

The next thing we know, the sirens are going off and screams ring through out the palace.

My eyes widen as I look over at Felicity, who remains frozen in her spot.

"A rebel attack?" I ask no one in particular.

"But... There hasn't been one in years." Felicity says, still stunned and frozen.

I look toward the exit and then back at Felicity.

At the same time I say, "We need to get out of here." Felicity says, "We should just stay in here."

"Felicity." I say sternly and bend down to slip off my heels. "If whoever is attacking finds us in here, we're dead. We have no where to hide, no where to go."

Felicity's body is no longer stiff and tense. She's shaking uncontrollably and hugging herself. "I-I- Can't. What if we get shot?"

"At least we have a better chance out there than in here." I say and grab her hand. I squeeze it in a comforting way. Of course I was going to let out some affection. She was scared and probably on the verge of having a panic attack. I'm not a totally cruel person. I show compassion when it's needed.

"It'll be okay." I say. "Come on, if we make a run for it we can find a guard or something."

She stares at me quietly for a few moments. Those moments drag on, like she's battling this decision internally. Hell, she probably is.

A loud gunshot startles both of us and Felicity seems to have come to a decision.

"Okay, come on." She says in a shaky voice.

Still holding her hand, we both slip out of the bathroom. The hall is dead silent, and there isn't a person to be seen.

I nod my head to the right and let go of her hand. We walk slowly up the hall in our feet. I had to admit, even I was a little scared. The dead silence-

The silence being broken by a gun shot and a blood curdling scream.

Felicity whimpers by my side and I tell her to be quiet. We couldn't be caught.

I run even faster around the palace, looking for some place we could hide.

Foot steps sound from behind us and we both tense. I whip around the corner and press myself against the wall. Felicity follows suit as we listen to the sound of footsteps.

"Cordelia," a chilling voice sings. "Come out come out wherever you are..."

Felicity's eyes grow wide with unshed tears she she turns to face me. My heart stops and so does my breathing.

It wasn't a prince calling me. I would know their voices anywhere. It wasn't Michael or a guard, because I doubt a guard would risk making any noise. Guards are supposed to protect and take down whoever gets in their way. If they make noise they aren't exactly stealthy.

No. It was not a guard nor anyone from the palace. It was a rebel.

"I'm not sure where you could have gone," the unfamiliar voice says. "I just saw you scurrying down the hall moments ago."

I look around me for a possible weapon, and on the skinny table next to me is a thin vase.

It will have to do. I didn't come all this way just to be killed by a rebel who thinks violence is the only answer. Honestly, I always thought the rebels were morons. They need to think more politically rather than violently. I bet they would have gotten what they wanted a long time ago.