16. How to Escape From Prison

Sniffle

Sniffle.

Silence.

Sob.

Repeat.

The familiar sound of grief was all I could hear.

True to his word, the Alpha had left Opal alive, with my promise that I wouldn't try to escape. And since I now had ulterior motives, I had decided that I would uphold my end of the deal. I would sit here and plot how I'd destroy his pack from the inside.

Which, to be fair, was rather hard to do when one was sitting in a cell with only a grieving witch for company.

Sniffle.

Silence.

Sob.

Repeat.

I'd been upgraded - somewhat, anyways - from the cold, stone room in which I'd woken up in. I was now in what I considered to be a generic prison cell - the metal bars, very open, no privacy. Also, I could see into the cell next to mine, which was both a blessing and a curse.

On one hand, I could see Opal.

On the other, I could see Opal.

Why was this a good and a bad thing?

Well, it's good to know that she's alive and that she's relatively unharmed - physically, anyway. It's reassuring to know that I have a decent cell-neighbour, one who would gladly give up her life for me.

But... I also have to see the consequences of my actions. I have to watch Opal switch between aggressively sobbing and staring numbly at the wall. I have to see the constant reminder that I did that to her. I may not have killed Kyle myself - that deed goes to Keith. I may not have ordered his death - that's due to the Alpha. But I might as well have done both of those. By not coming quietly, by insisting that I could get out of the city without running into any trouble, by dragging them into the mess of my life in the first place, I started the chain reaction that caused the death of Opal's beloved husband. And my friend.

Every action has its consequences; you made your choices, Little Hunter. Now deal with the aftermath.

I guess this was my punishment for murdering members of Toronto's pack. It wasn't enough that Kyle was brutally killed in front of me, while I was helpless to do anything. No, I had to watch his widow suffer, too.

My life is fucking utopia right now.

Sniffle.

Silence.

Sob.

Repeat.

Not only did I have to listen to Opal drown in grief; no, I was plagued by my own memories of such noises.