19

I had another nightmare last night.

You'd think it would begin to subside with the days that pass, but it seems as though it's only getting worse. It's been two days since we found Fury's communicator, and all that we've been able to glean from it is that it's a one way signal that hasn't stopped emitting since we received it. I keep trying to cling desperately to what little hope I can find, because I know that if I stop for even one second to consider the gravity of the situation around me, I'll give up.

"Alright sunshine, you have your backpack and your lunch?"

DJ adjusts her electric blue raincoat, tugging the hood out from underneath her Iron Man backpack before nodding dutifully at me.

"Check and check, I'm ready to go" she assures, her dark curls bouncing slightly from their ponytail that sits high on the young girl's head. I give her a small smile and nod, putting my hand on her shoulder and guiding her out of the Compound's kitchen towards the exit to the compound.

"Where's our little hero headed off to today?" Steve calls out, making DJ and I pause and turn towards the soldier. He has just walked into the kitchen and is smiling warmly at my niece. When I look back to her, I see that same near-bashfulness appear as she smiles back at the Captain.

"School, I tried to get Aunt Dawn to let me skip another week but she insisted that I have to go like everyone else" DJ responds, making her voice bordering on whining.

I did indeed have to insist on her going back to school and she did, in return, fight me on it. Eventually, though, she gave in. In the short time I've had to watch DJ, I've begun to realize just how difficult parenting is. I never want to yell at the precious nine year old by my side and I always want to be fair with her, but it seems that her definition of fair and mine are two different things. Still, though, I have to try to do Rose proud with her.

"Aunt Dawn is right, school is essential. You've got to grow up to be smart and strong at the same time" Steve responds, pouring himself a cup of coffee. As if by magic, DJ nods her head enthusiastically.

"I totally agree, Cap! See Aunt Dawn? I told you I can't just skip school another week!" DJ exclaims before turning and skipping off towards the garage as if she were waiting on me.

I stare after her with wide eyes before letting out a long sigh and dragging my tired gaze back to a very amused Steve. I can't help the small smile that tugs on my lips as I shake my head.

"She's lucky she's so cute" I inform, making Steve chuckle lightly as he takes a sip from his coffee.

"You're doing a great job, Dawn. Don't worry about it" he assures, as if he could see directly into my head. I offer him a small, sad smile as I walk towards the garage after DJ. I pause at the key cupboard that Tony has beside the doorway to his massive garage and pick out a set of keys to a minivan, casting a glance over at Steve.

"And what if I mess this up? What if I'm no good at this?" I ask, desperately needing some of Steve's magic Captain America pep talks. Steve sighs and sets down his coffee, thinks for a moment, and then responds carefully.

"Dawn, you put your heart into everything you do. That little girl out there is lucky to have you to take care of her," he declares, before giving me an upturn of his lips, "Besides, you're not alone. We'll be here every step of the way...We're all we have left."

I smile softly at his words and nod gratefully at him, tightening my grip on the car keys in my hand. I feel that same block of emotion rise in my throat again and I blink away the tears that mist my green eyes.

"Thanks, Cap" I whisper. He nods back, and as I turn to head into the garage and take DJ to school, I can't help but replay his words in my head.

"We're all we have left"