Chapter 6: Nightmare

The large Slytherin Commonroom was dark apart from the green lanterns upon the stone walls that cast an eerie glow of emerald around them as Tom Riddle sat in his usual chair. The chair where no one else dared sit as he stared into the darkness, unknowingly turning his wand around in his hand.

"- and then I reminded the filthy half-blood that her father was dismissed from my grandfather's department within the Ministry," Rosier said with a grin as his remark was met with a round of callous laughter from the other boys.

Riddle twitched at the word. Half-blood. He heard the way it rolled off Rosier's tongue like poison on his lips. Little did his gang of elites know that their leader was a half-blood like the ones they all despised. He was interested to see the looks on their faces if they found out; to see that flicker of fear behind their eyes if they knew they were currently insulting him. But, of course, his blood status was a secret he intended to take to the grave if he could.

"To think that he has the nerve to speak to any of us like that," Abraxas Malfoy spat, idly brushing some dust off of his black jacket. "They're beginning to think they have some sort of status. Next think we know, mudbloods will be squaring up to us in the hallways."

Lestrange grimaced. "Not while we walk these corridors, they won't."

Malfoy sniggered. "You're right. While the Knights of Walpurgis walk these halls their numbers will be falling like flies." His praise-hunting gaze fell upon his leader, who was still staring into nothingness. "Riddle? Is everything all right?"

Riddle did not move, but he stopped spinning his wand between his fingers. "Yes," he said slowly. "You know, your story is quite relatable, Rosier."

Rosier sat up in his chair and cast uncertain glances around at the rest of the boys who had all stopped to listen. "It is?"

"Yes. Your story about the half-blood speaking out of terms has made me ponder." The boys seemed uncertain, but listened attentively to each word Riddle spoke nonetheless. "It seems that worthless people have begun challenging our authority."

Mulciber piped up. "But we still run the school, there's no doubt about it. Few people dare challenge us."

"But that doesn't erase the minority who do, does it, Mulciber?" Riddle said darkly, and Mulciber's mouth snapped shut.

"You've encountered impertinence?" Avery asked warily.

"I have." Riddle nodded, and finally he turned around to face his followers, and each of them sat up a little straighter. "From none other than Estela Markorp."

Lestrange grunted. "Insolent piece of filth. I've never liked her."

"What's her blood status?" Nott asked, and Riddle's attention sparked a little at this question, too.

"Pureblood," Abraxas Malfoy said with an upturned nose. "Unfortunately."

"Pity," Lestrange said. "Or we could have made her our first victim. What did she do?"

Riddle scowled. "She's not intimidated by me in the slightest. Of any of us, for that matter. And after our encounter in the bathroom I'm not sure I can trust her not to go blabbing. After all, if she opens her mouth about what she saw, she could foil our plans completely."

"Surely she wouldn't dare," Nott said.

"I'm not so sure. She's not like the rest." Tom said reluctantly. "There's more to her. I can feel it."

"She's just an ignorant girl. If she knew half as much about us as she thinks, she'd never dare to so much as glance in our direction." Malfoy said, brushing his hand over his slicked back hair. "If she gets to be too much, we'll show her exactly how dangerous we truly are."