Rethink

"Oh my God, what happened here?" Celine gasped as she walked into the living room.

I was still on the floor where I was when Baron left. Following their boss's orders, the goons completely brought the house down. There was not a single item in the room that was not destroyed. The table had been broken, the contents of the almost empty fridge poured out, all the dishes in the kitchen were broken and turned upside down.

In the sitting room, the couch was turned upside down and broken, the table at the center was broken to pieces and some of the shreds of glass had even splattered on me. I had not gone to my bedroom to see the extent of the destruction, but I knew there would not be much left to use.

After they had left, I took my phone and called the only person I knew I could rely on at any time of day or night. After I dropped the call, I wrapped my hand around myself and patiently waited for her to come. I used my last strength to hold back my tears until her arrival.

Despite all the pain I had gone through in my life, only one person had ever seen me cry. My best friend and she was my only support.

The moment she walked in I let the tears fall. They were already on the brink of falling, so when she walked in, they just spilled over unstoppably.

She rushed in, walking on the broken glass on the floor, and leaned down to hold me.

I held on to her and cried my eyes out, and at some point, I could hear her sniffing too. I looked up to see her eyes red, and I could see that she was fighting hard to hold back her tears from falling.

"Who did this to you Chris?" she whispered, almost sobbing,

I could not answer her, the only thing I knew was that I wanted to leave this place, to somewhere I could think clearly. "Please Celine, please just get me out of here," I cried.

Everything from there on went in a hazy blur. I could only remember walking downstairs, entering a cab, and Celine putting me to sleep.

*** *** ***

"Hey hey, good morning," I said to Celine as I sleepily walked into the kitchen from her bedroom. She turned around to look at me, and I could see the rim of her eyes all puffy and red, mirroring mine.

She watched me with wary eyes as I walked from the doorway to the stool at the side of the counter. On the counter, she had already laid out two plates of sandwich and one cup of coffee.

"Here, eat," she said as she passed one plate to me. Her eyes held a million questions, and I knew I would have to eat to be able to answer them all. The Celine I knew only needed a name, and she would be storming out of here with a chainsaw ready to murder the monster. But I would not allow her to do that. The last thing I needed was to drag her into this mess and make her one of Baron's targets too.

I took the plate with a small faltering smile. She turned around and joined me on the other kitchen stool, with her plate and a cup of coffee.

As I took the first bite, I could still see her from the corner of my eyes. Her eyes were focused on me, unrelenting, waiting for me to start the conversation we both knew we had to have.

"About last night...." I started, but she quickly cut me off by just saying the word, "name"

"Hmm?" I asked like I did not hear her the first time.

"I want the name of the bastard that did this to you," she spat out angrily, and I knew her anger was not directed at me, but the whole situation.

I looked away from her to the plate on the counter. I thought of a million different lies to come up with, but none of them made any sense. I knew what she would do if I told her Baron did this.