Prologue - New Life New City

"Are there any stalls nearby?" Blue said while holding his stomach. Eyeing around for food stalls under the night sky of the prosperous city Lungmen. Walking aimlessly through the busy street. 

"But I don't have any money, " He mutters under his breath. His stomach growling under his palm. 

He appears to be around 20 years old with a face that stood out in a crowd, though, not handsome. Tall and built, but looks lean under his casual wears consist of a button-up t-shirt with clean pants. 

"Good evening, could you spare me a bit of your sandwich there?" Blue asked a man sitting at the sides of an alley— a homeless man. 

The homeless man looked at him with a frown, "You're asking me? a man with no home and little money for a piece of sandwich?"

"Yes, what's wrong with that?" Blue replied while scratching the back of his head. 

"Now, from the way you dress up, you look like a guy with a decent job and wage. So, why the hell you're asking a  homeless man for his sandwich, now piss off and let me enjoy my dinner, " The homeless man waves his hand to Blue and turns his body around with a 'huff'.

"You're stereotyping too much. If that was true then, I wouldn't ask in the first place, " Blue smiles nonchalantly as he sits beside the homeless man. 

"Are you lazy? Is that why you couldn't get a job?" 

"I'm not lazy. They said I need to give them a CV to apply for the job but I have none of those. What in the name of the lord is a CV?" 

The homeless man fell on his back and pockets his sandwich under his coat, "Are you some kind of an idiot?"

"No, I know mathematics, alchemy and slight literature. I say I'm pretty smart myself. " Blue lifts his chin and puffs his chest with a beat. 

"Alchemy? Do you mean by science? Bah, I'm going to ask you a mathematics question to test your brain if you're- 'smart'. " 

"Sure, test me anytime, anywhere. I'll let you know that I was in the top 3 in the final year of my school, " Blue crosses his arm and legs while facing the homeless man. Nodding his head a few times with a large smile. 

"What does 1 + 1 give you?" The homeless man holds up two index fingers in front of Blue. 

"Give me one moment, " Blue holds his chin as his eyebrows knit together while the gears in his brain start to turn. 

Accompanied by several murmurs later, he drew invisible shapes in the air while trying to solve the question given, like a particular famous physicist trying to create a newfound formula, but instead with a simple question. 

"Having a hard time? It's already 5 minutes by now. " 

"I've got the answer! It's 11!" Blue points both his index finger towards the homeless man. A shiny grin crosses his face.

The homeless man's cheeks twitched with his mouth gap open, large enough for several flies to enter simultaneously. The edges of his lips wrinkles along with his eyes. 

"As you can see here, this index finger represents '1' while the other is also the same.  So if I bring them close together, it'll form the number '11', " Blue explains with a straight face while holding out his index fingers together towards the homeless man. 

The homeless man wheezes before holding onto his torso. A storm of laughs slips out of his lips. Tears broke the edges of his eyes and streams down like an unending river. 

Blue's grin changed to a smile as he rested his cheek on his palm. While witnessing another man's day brightened. He intended to do so, "He looks less grumpy now… "

Though, that only lasts for a few moments before a thief swift took the homeless man's plastic bag of money given from other people. Making haste with heels up down clacking against the pathway. 

The homeless man's face sours as he throws himself and manages to grab onto the thief's ankle. 

The thief was not pleased by him and stomped the homeless man's poor feeble arms. Though, the man did not let go with tears in his eyes enduring the pain. 

"Let go, you fat old man!" The thief shouts while putting more weight into his stomping. Each growing in sound and heaviness. 

"You fucking bastard! thats my son's funeral money! I may be piss poor and useless but my son deserves fucking better!" The homeless man's voice grows hoarse with each pain he received. 

His arms were drenched in red. His wounds bleeding a small stream down to the dirty concrete. 

"You think you're the only one in this shit hole suffering? I have my stomach to feed! This money has no fucking use on a old man who has no family anymore." The thief fumes. His words may be harsh but it is the truth. 

Blue glances at the surrounding and saw people- couples, friends of two, tourists and families whispering to one another. He eavesdrops on words to sentences, none of them dares to stand up for the homeless after the thief pulls out a machete from his waist. 

Sure, people would help with giving a few spare changes. Keyword, 'spare changes' if they afford to give any, to show pity to an old homeless man. Which thickens the meaning of 'The useless, the fool, the old, stays at the bottom of the society'. 

Heck, there's even some who are busy with recording the whole scene instead of helping the homeless man. 

"A knight huh… I always wonder if I deserve that title, " Blue whispers to himself. His hands clenched into a fist, tightening it to the limit. 

He was once a knight. One which does not follow the code of honour, but simply pass as one because of a simple desire. 

A former knight, two words that stop him from doing impulsive actions. He is not one anymore so he is not bound to any oath or laws and he has the option to ignore the thief, though, habits are hard to get rid of. 

Blue was pulled back to reality by the sound of a large smack. The thief's shoe sole connects with the homeless man's forehead. The edges of the footwear were then pushed into the man's temples. Though, he held on even on the brink of sharp pain. 

The sight of the homeless man's tears and blood of effort was enough to ignite a small flame in Blue. 

A clothed armoured humanoid spirit appears for a brief moment behind Blue. The spirit's hand burst into clothes before attaching onto Blue's arm forming into a long protective glove. 

He reels his arms backwards before launching onto the ground. Rays of colours advance on a straight line as thin as a thread towards the thief. 

"But, I don't need to be a knight to do so… [Fabric]!"