28: Secrets

"What are you talking about?" I asked, trying not to panic. Kyle's tone of how he acused me of being part of The Legion told me he definitely didn't have good news.

"Brook, I can't tell you right now but I'll fill you in on everything once we get to The Office." Kyle said, completely ignoring me. The tension in the car shifted immediately as Brook sat up a little straighter, and the driver locked my door. I felt guilty and trapped in a corner, even though I hadn't done anything bad.

The drive to The Office was long, and once we got there, Brook escorted me to a very secured room as if I was a stranger. A guard patted me down and checked if I had any gear on except for the comms. After a few minutes, Kyle walked in, looking anywhere but at me. I wasn't scared of being accused of whatever he was talking about because I was innocent, but hurt beyond measure that his trust to me was so little.

He slammed a few files onto the steel table in the center of the room, and a guard stood by the door with arms crossed. It reminded me of how suspects get interrogated in a room where policemen could see what was going on through a screen.

"Are those the files you obtained?" Brook asked, and Kyle nodded. Mikey entered the room just then, and wrapped an arm around his grieving sister.

"Let me tell you one thing, Cass," Kyle said, finally looking at me, but with an unfriendly stare. "Your mom is part of The Legion."

I sighed, hating to admit the fact. But what I couldn't understand was, how

"Well, technically, she was part of The Shadow Legion." I looked at him with a questioning glance. "She left The Legion when she was 23, but her memory was wiped. So your mom doesn't have a clue that The Legion exists. But you already knew that, didn't you?"

I glared at Kyle. "No! I didn't, because I don't know anything! And I'm not part of The Legion, just because my mom was part of it. The Legion wants something from me, remember?"

"How do we know it wasn't a trap?" Mikey added.

"Why would I lead you to the headquarters and make you get the information that would give me away?"

"You didn't think we were this good, so you thought we wouldn't be able to get the information before we had to flee." Brook jumped in to the full-out accusation war.

"You were the one who said not to underestimate your opponenents."

"Well, someone tipped The Legion off, there's no way they could have acted that quickly."

I shrugged. "There are thirty people in on this case, it could have been anyone. Besides, maybe they snuck in a miniature voice recording mechanic somewhere."

Mikey looked offended. "I'm 100% sure that that isn't the case. And everyone here is trustworthy."

I turned to Kyle. "This obviously isn't adding up. What is it that makes you think I'm part of The Legion?"

Kyle studied me for a few seconds. "Roselle is your aunt, your mom's little sister. Roselle is infertile, and your mom left The Legion, so naturally, you're the next heir to The Legion." I looked at Kyle for a few seconds. 

I willed myself to think clearly. "Why...why isn't Auden the next heir? He's the oldest."

"The organization gets take down by the women in the family."

"But..." I started. I felt light headed, and I had to sit down so I wouldn't fall down.

"Cass?" Kyle said, sounding worried even though he was thinking I was the enemy.