20. The first lodge

Hello my amazing reader! I updated quicker this time😄 Three cheers for me!
U know, this chapter has some of my personal experience.
Once upon a time, both my sisters wanted burgers from the restaurant near my school and I promised to get them after school. When I went in there, there wasn't a single, I repeat, not a single female there and all the obnoxious, rouddy guys there stopped doing whatever the hell they were doing and stared at me for five seconds straight.

Then the waiter came to me, served me first and I was out.

It. Was. Awkward.

Anyways, enjoy!

20. The first lodge

Who’s a good boy?” I coo as I scratch his head “obviously, you are.”

“Hazel,” Luke says in irritation “Stop it.”

I huff “You’re just jealous because animals hate you and not me.”

“Stop playing with that squirrel, we have to get going.” He says, already starting to walk

“But—

“No arguments.”

“Asshole,” I mutter before I swing my bag on my shoulder and follow him

Since we pretty much didn’t sleep yesterday, we woke up late. Yes, Luke Winters, the perfectionist is actually not a robot and woke up late as well.

“Hey Luke,” I ask, he hmms in response “Didn’t you expect to find your mate in that crescent moon ball?”

“No.”

“And during your travels?” I ask “Didn’t you think you’d find her during that?”

I see his shoulders stiffen at that “No.”

Sure, I think to myself. Even if Luke might not accept it, his tense demeanor is more than enough to tell me that he did expect to find his mate during his travels.

“So, when you become Alpha supreme, what will you do?” I ask, deciding to drop the mate subject

“We have just started a shorter route, what makes you think we’ll win?”

“Humor me.”

“I’ll do what I’m supposed to,” he shrugs “Work, maintain peace, shift to the New York HQ.”

“That’s it?” I stare at him incredulously “That’s what’s driving you to win?”

“That, and a lot of power.”

Crazy. Why would someone want to risk their life for some stupid job?

“What would you do?” Luke asks, effectively surprising me “After you leave?”

My rough sketch plan flashes in my head again “Get a job, save up money, work my ass off and start a small business which will eventually grow and I’ll be rich.”

Luke stares at me for a moment before looking ahead again, a small sound escapes him. Did he just… chuckle? Maybe I should just admit that he’s a living being too.

“So you do have a brain in that big head of yours?”

“Yes, a very bright one.” I ignore his sarcasm

“And about your mate?” he asks “You did sneak in the ball, I’m guessing you wanted to find him.”

“That was my intention,” I don’t bother denying