Chapter 13: Little Girls, Braids and Pregnancy

Alic was looking down peacefully as he braided a little girl's hair. She looked dirty from playing in the mud by the river but it didn't faze him when she used his furs to wipe her face, grinning without her two front teeth. Her brunette curls being pulled back by Alic's large fingers, not once faltering as mine struggled to bring back a little girl's black, straight hair.

''I never imagined you'd be spending your free time braiding girl's hair.'' He looked up when I spoke and laughed a little.

''Ali ( A/N: pronounced Ally) always braids our hair.'' The brunette, Savannah happily exchanged.

''But shhh. It's our little secret.'' They both raised their fingers to their mouths and giggled, Jade's hair falling out of my hands as her head turned to me.

''Ali, huh?'' I raised an eyebrow and he just smiled at me.

''I never expected you'd take to your Luna duties so quick.''

My eyes widened and I choked on air, Alic, Savannah and Jade laughing at my expense.

''Ex...excuse me?'' Alic laughed at my astonishment.

''That fight. No one would have jumped in besides a Luna. No one is stupid enough to.''

''Yeah and no one but Ali and the old Luna braided our hair for fun either.'' Savannah looked sad.

''That's why we're so happy Jai Jai came so now we get to have even more fun!'' They both nodded in happy agreement.

Alic was like a maze of mystery. Behind every bend and corner, you found something you didn't expect.

He was a man of muscle and intimidation a beta in every sense of the word. But, he also spent his free time braiding little girl's hair and messing around with his nephew.

My hands stopped when they got knotted in Jade's hair for the umpteenth time, the girls giggling at yet another failed attempt to co-ordinate my fingers while my mind was elsewhere.

''What are we going to do with him, girls? He has no hope for braiding.'' Alic shook his head and joined me on the far side of the room taking over and finishing Jade's hair.

He looked at me and nodded towards a cup of water on the bench to have a break like he knew what was running through my mind.

The girls twittered around Alic laughing and shoving him as he chased them around, picking them up and throwing them over his large shoulders letting out squeals of joy.

I wonder if Tatum acted this way with children? Maybe he had a side like this too? He had the possessive and caring side and he had the ... he had the...

My back hurt.

''Jai Jai?'' Savannah tugged my pant leg and used the nickname she gave me and insisted on using.

''Yeah?'' I crouched down to her level so we were eye to eye, her hazel eyes looking into my blue ones.

''Are you an omega?''

My eyes widened and I heard Alic stop playing with Jade.

''How do you-''

''You smell different and mumma says omegas have a very weak smell.''

I couldn't stop staring at her. I didn't know what to say. Was 'weak' a distinct smell? I could barely smell out the difference between ranks unless they were in wolf form and here this six-year-old could smell out my rank while I was without my fur and with little effort.

''But Vannah we don't keep our omegas. Mumma says that it's good that we don't. She says they're bad.''

I knew I was weak. I knew it was a nuisance for an omega to be born. I knew this.

''I don't care what our mummas say or even Alpha! I love Jai Jai and I can't wait for him to be the pack mumma!'' Savannah gave me her biggest grin and ran off to play with her friend again.

My body was like stone. I couldn't move a muscle until a big hand clapped me on the shoulder and my eyes darted up to Alic's big teasing grin.

''You heard 'em Jaidan. Don't let them down.''

A single tear ran down my cheek and I had to bring my hand up to my mouth, the back of my hand kissing my lips as her words struck a sensitive place.

Could I do that? Could I face my fears and become Luna? I could barely stand in the same room with my old pack enforcer. How could I sleep in the same bed as one? How could I stand next to one that would run a pack? 

How could I love one?

Some obstacles are too great to overcome.

A large hand swept away my tear and cupped my cheek, remorseful silver eyes were staring at mine, darting from one eye to another never stopping on one for too long as if to miss something in the other.

''I-'' He didn't even get to start his apology.

I wrapped my fists in his grey tank top and stepped straight into his chest, my face between my fists and his shirt soaking up salty water.

I won't be afraid anymore.

I'm not afraid.

His arms wrapped around me and he laid his head on top of mine. I could tell he was fidgeting around my back, being cautious making me grip to him tighter. He slowly let his hands fall to my lower back where there were no injuries and he didn't waste any time pulling me as close as possible without breaking me in half.

I could get used to this.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Alic standing in front of all the cute hair ties the girls brought and threw on the floor and couldn't help but breathe out a laugh, shaking my head and sticking my tongue out at him.

''I can't wait until Jai Jai gets pregnant.'' Savannah smiled and we all just stared at the little girl, her growing adult teeth on display as she stared at us.

I didn't want Jai to be too whiney but I don't know if I pulled it off? Was it okay?

Also, a huge thank you to every who offered names for the girls!