Chapter Seventeen

Tucker buttoned up his shirt, getting ready after his shower. Isaac had left early, saying he had to head home to change before work. Tucker was fixing his tie when his phone rang. It was Paige.

"Hey, what's up? I'm picking you guys up from the airport at 8, right?" Tucker rested the phone on his shoulder, tilting his head to hold it in place as he spoke while buttoning his sleeve.

"I got fired."

"What?" Tucker took hold of his phone, straightening up.

"I got an email this morning saying I've been fired." Paige said.

"That can't be," Tucker was shocked, "Are you sure it's not a mistake?"

"I work at a multi-billion enterprise, Tucker, they don't fire people by mistake."

"This is bullshit!" Tucker exclaimed.

"All I want to know is.. is it because of you and whatever weird shit you've got going with Kaufman?" Paige asked.

"Paige.. I.."

"It is, isn't it?" Paige sighed, "Despite me begging you so many times.."

"I'm going to make this right. I swear, Paige, I'm going to—"

"Don't bother coming to the airport. We'll get a cab." Paige said, hanging up the phone before Tucker could another word in.

~~~

Tucker walked into The Kaufman Enterprises, and anyone that saw him at that moment knew he was not one to be messed with. He walked with his head held high, determination and rage in his eyes.

He stopped at Callum's assistant, respecting her job instead of just walking into his office. He told her his name, and a flash of recognition washed through her face. She buzzed Callum, who without a moment of hesitation told her to send him in, as if he'd been expecting him.

"You fucking bastard, you fired her? You fired my sister?" Tucker said as he barged into Callum's office, slamming the door behind him.

"I assure you your sister's termination has nothing to do with you and I." Callum replied, as he continued to look down at the file on his table, not giving Tucker a single glance as the lawyer scoffed.

"Unbelievable. You're really expecting me to buy that?" Tucker raised his voice, "I refuse to sleep with you, and you get back at me by firing my sister? What kind of a man are you?"

"A man that's just doing his job," Callum said, "Paige's department has been in a loss since the last three quarters. It was a unanimous decision that a change of leadership was required."

"Oh, bullshit! That's a lie and you know it!" Tucker walked closer to Callum's desk.

"You have a lot of balls coming into my office and accusing me of lying," Callum finally looked at Tucker, "Ever since the day we met, I've done nothing to you and all you've offered me is this.. bitterness."

"So, you take that out on my sister?" Tucker asked again.

"Like I said—" Callum was cut of by Tucker.

"Don't even bother!" Tucker rolled his eyes, "I'm going to fucking sue you."

"And say what? You're going to tell the jury that me, Callum Kaufman, fired your little sister because I couldn't get you in my bed?" It was Callum's turn to scoff now.

"No, but imagine how it's going to look if you fire the sister of the man that just prosecuted a huge anti bribery case against your company." Tucker smirked as Callum stiffened.