─ trente quatre

TRENTE QUATRE

all's well that ends well to end up with you!

THE DAY OF the ball finally arrived. James had to practically restrain Lily that morning from immediately getting out of bed and checking over the plan for the millionth time. 

"Just one more time," Lily moaned as she struggled against James's arms that were firmly wrapped around her waist.

"No," James replied. "You already checked over everything around thirty times yesterday. Nothing has changed, I assure you." 

He tugged her waist so her back was against his chest. He pressed a kiss to her shoulder, to the side of her tank top strap.

"You don't know that," she replied.

James turned her around in his lap as they looked into each other's eyes. She instinctively ran her hands through his hair, causing him to close his eyes and smile blissfully. She relaxed slightly at the sight. 

"You don't know that," she repeated quietly. 

She moved her hands from his hair to the sides of his faces as she ran her thumbs along his cheeks as a small smile took its place on her face. He reached forward, causing her hands to fall to her lap as he pushed her hair away from her face.

"I can see you're really worried," he replied quietly. "But you've prepared this brilliantly and you've thrown parties before — "

She opened her mouth to protest, but he didn't let her.

"And I'm going to listen to you, but not your objections, ok?" James continued quietly. "Because you're not doing this alone nor are you ever going to do this alone, ok?"

She stayed quiet, nodded at his words and looked at her hands.

"Hey, look at me," he gently coaxed as he used one of his hands to gently tilt her chin up.

"I'm sorry," she whispered through a couple of tears. "It's something totally — "

"Don't say that," he said firmly. "This is not something you can control — you know that — so I'm not going to let you apologize for it."

"Right," she muttered awkwardly as she looked back down. 

She instinctively wanted to say sorry, but knew he wouldn't let her, so she stayed silent. 

"And I'm here, always," he finished quietly as he saw her smile, even though she wasn't facing him. "There's that smile." 

She sunk down and wrapped her arms around his chest as he laid back in bed. She smiled as he ran a hand up and down her back as she let out a deep breath. She hummed absentmindedly as she drew circles on his torso.