Chapter 129

Sirius tried his best to avoid the rest of the conversation with Lexi, afraid of telling her any more than he himself knew. He couldn't make sense out of how Lexi could possibly be Regulus's daughter.

"I just can't be her uncle!" Sirius huffed loudly later that night, when he and Jenna had gone back to their bedroom. "It doesn't make any sense!"

"Maybe, but you should at least try to talk to Lexi about it more," Jenna tried to reason with him. "I mean, maybe she knows something that could help you become more sure about this whole thing. Besides, all these questions are probably driving her crazy."

"But if I talk to her about it, she will become even more confused as it is!" said Sirius, buttoning up his silk pajamas. "The timing doesn't make any sense! Regulus had died around sixteen years ago, in year 1979. But I asked Dumbledore and he said that Lexi was apparently born in 1993. Besides, there's no magical blood visible in her. Even squibs have a little bit magic in their blood, even though they can't use it. Lexi can't be from the Black family."

"But then how can she even see Hogwarts?" Jenna argued. "Besides, it wasn't a coincidence that she was sent back in time. Someone sent her back, and they must've had a good reason to do so."

"Ugh, I don't know what to think anymore." Sirius let out a deep sigh as he sat down on the bed, running a hand through his black hair, which had grown slightly longer over the past few months.

"I'm sure it will all make sense eventually," Jenna tried to say comfortingly as she sat beside him on the bed, running her hand up and down his arm.

"And if it doesn't?"

"Well, not everything is supposed to make sense in life." Jenna shrugged with a playful grin. "Otherwise, where would be the fun in that?"

Sirius laughed, shaking his head at her. "You know that I love you, right, Jenny?"

"Oh, yes. I'm aware." Jenna smirked smugly.

His grin dropped and he gave her a look. "The correct answer to that is 'I love you more, Sirius'."

"Well, I —"

"And it also wouldn't hurt to add a bit of creativity to it and maybe say 'oh, Sirius, you are the love of my life! I can't possibly imagine living without you! Oh, how lucky I am to have y—"

But his words were cut off when Jenna picked up one of the pillows in a quick motion and then hit it in his face before he could even have the time to react.

"Hey!" Sirius growled angrily as Jenna laughed. "You can't just —"

But Jenna suddenly hit him again in the face with the pillow.

Sirius shot her a deadly glare. "Okay, that's it!"

He then moved forward briskly and pushed her down on the bed, starting to tickle her. Jenna was laughing so hard that tears were now leaving her eyes.

"Stop — you — git!" she managed to say between roars of laughter.

But at last, remembering a technique that she had used many times before when they were younger, Jenna took the opportunity and grabbed onto the collar of his shirt, bringing him down into a passionate kiss.

Feeling his whole body freeze at the feeling of her soft lips against his, Sirius found himself in a trance as he kissed her back, deepening it.

***

It was an enjoyable Christmas for everyone, though the closer they got the end of the break, the gloomier Sirius became. He would spend more hours shutting himself up in his room or with Buckbeak, losing his cheerfulness more and more with each passing day.

Jenna wished that she wouldn't have to leave him, but after what had happened with Harry, she felt like she needed to keep a closer eye on her nephew and godson.

The atmosphere became even more tense when Percy sent back her Weasley jumper which Molly had knitted for him, without even a thank you note. He didn't ask how his father was doing, even though they had written about Arthur's attack in the Daily Prophet.

Molly fell into tears. Fred and George tried to help by insulting Percy, but it only made her feel worse. So Remus took over, trying to comfort her.

It was the very last day of the holidays. Sirius had become so sullen to the point that he barely talked to Jenna anymore. So she decided to turn into her cat form and join the kids in Ron and Harry's shared room, who were playing a game of Wizards chess.

Crookshanks watched the game between Ron and Harry, along with Hermione and Ginny. Jenna was curious to know if Harry was as good as Euphemia at this game, but turns out, Ron was easily beating him.

"Harry dear," said Molly, poking her head into the bedroom after knocking, "could you come down to the kitchen? Professor Snape would like a word with you."

Crookshanks's head shot up. Although Harry did not immediately register what she had said; one of his castles was engaged in a violent tussle with a pawn of Ron's, and he was egging it on enthusiastically.

"Squash him — squash him, he's only a pawn, you idiot — sorry, Mrs. Weasley, what did you say?"

"Professor Snape, dear. In the kitchen. He'd like a word."

Harry's mouth fell open in horror. He looked around at Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, all of whom were gaping back at him.

Crookshanks hopped down from the bed quickly, wanting to go downstairs to see what was going on. Although she accidentally jumped on the board and set the chess pieces running for cover, squealing at the top of their voices.

"Snape?" said Harry blankly.

"Professor Snape, dear," said Molly reprovingly. "Now come on, quickly, he says he can't stay long."

Before Harry could get the chance to argue any further, Crookshanks left the room, quickly going downstairs. All the while, she kept wondering what this was all about.

She soon entered the kitchen, only to find Sirius and Snape both seated at the long kitchen table, glaring in opposite directions. The silence between them was heavy with mutual dislike, and a letter lay open on the table in front of Sirius.