chap. 33

The two of them carefully continued to make their way to their destination, a little worried about the trails of ruin guards.

Childe also tried to count the number of ruin guards, with the help of their footprints.

"Seven"

(y/n) averted her gaze to the Gingerhead who's brows were slightly furrowed as he looked at the ground once more. "Seven ruin guards"

Just as the female was about to say something, a valley came into their sight; the strange trails of the ruin guards splitting up into different directions. The majority of them seemed like they were going towards the right side, while roughly one of them stayed back.

A familiar flower caught (y/n)'s attention.

"Mist Flowers.. looks like one of the ruin guards stepped on them", she said as soon as she noticed the destroyed petals of the plant. Childe's eyes narrowed, as he saw another flower nearby; it's stem was clearly cut off, meaning that a person had picked them up.

He nudged (y/n)'s shoulder to get her attention and pointed his chin to the plant as soon as she looked away from the ground.

A weight was lifted off her shoulders as soon as she stared at Childe's discovery, relieved that the small zombie was probably nearby.

"I will go and look for her". With a short glance to the Harbingers direction, she tilted her head. "Stay here. And be careful"

He wanted to protest, but a sudden groan escaped his lips and interrupted him as soon as he moved his injured hand.

(y/n) shot him a slightly worried look, feeling unwell about leaving him alone as she turned away to look for Qiqi.

Childe slowly let himself slide down a stone wall nearby, struggling to keep his eyes open as sleepiness overcame him. A relaxed sigh escaped his lips, as he let himself fall onto the ground.

Warm sunlight shone on his face, causing a comfortable warmth to spread through his body making him even more tired than he already was.

The wind blew some hairstrands out of his sight, his wooden mask lazily dangling off the side of his head while the Fatui stretched his back with relish.

"Ah.."

The Fatui sighed to himself, feeling helpless on his own. His eyelids suddenly fluttered, another wave of exhaustion hitting his body; his lips slightly parted, as he fully closed his eyes and took a small nap.

The ground started to tremble in a steady rhythm.

Childe's eyes immediately opened wide, tiredness vanishing as he recognized the familiar sound; the Gingerhead jumped up from the floor, just to hiss at the pain from his wounded leg.

In the blink of an eye, a ruin guard came into his sight.

He felt his heart beating rapidly under his rib cage, realizing that his life was in great danger.

The ruin guard continued to constantly come closer, it's arms swinging with his movement.

Panick was written all over the Fatuis face as he felt a firm wall behind him, while trying to step away.

Childe felt like he was going to pass out any time soon, tiredness making its way through his body.

The ground dangerously shook under the guards steps, causing Childe's blue eyes to widen as he made an weak attempt to get away from the creature.

The ruin guard stopped.

It's upper body suddenly turned around as it stationed itself to shoot little bombs, the back now being exposed to Childe.

The Fatui immediately recognized the all too familiar attack; and before the ruin guard could  shoot its missiles, purple lighting hit the war machine.

Causing it to fall on the ground with a loud thump.

While violently coughing, Childe dropped his weapon; his red mask falling off his face and hitting the floor with a thud.

He felt his heart beat through his chest, feeling too exhausted to move any longer.

"Childe!", a gentle voice called out his name, causing the ginger to slowly look up at the female who ran towards him.

He felt relief washing over his body at the sight of the girl being safe and unharmed. He was at his limits; the use of his Foul Legacy made his whole body ache in pain.

(y/n) kneeled down, carefully studying his face before taking his warm hand into hers as an attempt to comfort the male.

She felt guilty for leaving him alone, but he forced himself to smile as soon as she tried to apologize.

"It's fine"

The female sighed quietly, avoiding eye contact. She had looked everywhere, but Qiqi was nowhere to be seen.

"Let's get away from here. I will come back for Qiqi later". While nodding, Childe stood up with a little bit of help, too tired to say something. His body felt heavy and he struggled to stay awake.

His orange hair fell over his face, that was slightly covered in dust from the fight with the ruin guard.

The Harbinger relaxed as he held onto (y/n)'s hand, as they started to walk away from the dead ruin guard.

The ground started trembling again.

one, two, three

just like before, they felt the familiar footsteps.

But this time it wasn't just one ruin guard.

Childe quietly groaned, almost falling asleep as (y/n) let his hand go.

She stared at him in awe, warmth spreading through her body as she her lips tugged into a small smile.

With a small gesture her beloved weapon appeared in her hand, sunlight reflecting in its shiny blade.

The Ginger blinked a few times, barely being conscious as he did so.

The steps seemed to get closer, but before the ruin guards could come into sight, another voice caught their full attention.

Childe's eyes widened, heartbeat quickening as he noticed a small figure in the distance.

"Big Brother!"

i'm sorry if it sounded kinda rushed, i'm not very good at describing fighting scenes :l