24. Sneak Attack - Eric's POV

PART 2/3 OF THE TRIPLE UPDATE - CHECK OUT CHAPTER 23 FIRST

"Watch where you're going." I half-shout, pushing today's victim out of my way. "Waste of space" I spit out, shoving him harder than he expected and making him stumble to the ground. I continue walking, unbothered.

Since the beginning of phase two, I've been even more irritable than usual; always finding reasons to yell or pick fights. It has gotten to the point where the initiates will scurry out of my way or walk with their gaze locked on their shoes out of fear that they'll provoke me. I don't blame them though, I truly feel like a ticking bomb. The question is, will I explode or be safely defused before that happens? With the way things are going, the former seems extremely likely.

I can see the question in everyone's eyes, but they don't dare ask it. Even if they did ask, I would just say there's nothing bothering me. But I'd just be lying to myself; I know exactly what has caused all this pent up anger to bubble inside of me.

Iris.

I haven't been able to get the image of her in her fear landscape out of my mind since it happened. The terror, panic and desperation in her eyes as she heard her family degrade her. But, just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I see myslef in her own fear landscape. I was spitting out the same cruel words I had thrown at her that day; words that I have regretted since. But the fact that she saw me in her landscape is tearing me apart from the inside.

Is she that terrified of me?

Does she think I'm a monster?

Depsite everything, she still managed to get one of the lowest times amongst the intiates, which isn't really surprising given her track record. Nevertheless, I'm furious. I can't help but hate myself for the way she feels about me. What's worse, the fear landscape is completely instinctive and subconscious; you can't control what you see, it's all reflective of your true feelings.

She hates me and there's nothing I can do about it. But why do I care? This is a question that has been running through my mind almost as often as the self-hatred. Do I think she's absolutely gorgeous? Yes, that's an objective truth though. Do I think her sense of humor is the breath of fresh air I've been looking for in this place? Also yes, but that says more about the idiots I've been surrounded by for so long. Do I care about her? As reluctant as I am to admit it, yes.

There's something about her that pulls me in. She's strong, but kind; something that couldn't be further from myself, yet I can't stop thinking about her. She seems to subtly give me a second chance whenever I mess up or get too aggressive, and that's more than I deserve but it makes me want to be better. So yes, I care about her, but it seems that I'm her worst nightmare.

Karma really hurts, doesn't it?

The past few weeks have truly been a whirlwind of thoughts and anger, and I can't escape the building fast enough. When I step onto the roof though, I realize I'm not alone. I can almost feel her presence before I see it. Iris is sitting down, her back against the low wall and her gaze far away into the night. If she noticed me, she gave no indication.

Great, now what do I do? I can't subtly turn around and leave, she would definitely hear me. Besides, my head hurts from overthinking and I just want to unwind.

With a heavy sigh and tentative steps, I move towrds her and slowly sit down next to her.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, keeping my tone cold and detached.

"Oh look at that, it speaks!" she says sarcastically and turns to look at me for the first time tonight. But it's not anger or hatred in her eyes, it's confusion and slight amusement.

"I'm not in the mood for jokes, Iris" I say, because this interaction already seems lighter than I expected and it's messing with my head. She's supposed to hate me.

"Yeah I've noticed, but you haven't exactly been easy to talk to these last few days." she says, and I think I detect slight hurt in her tone.

Suddenly, memories from her fear landscape flash in my mind and the anger returns.

"Why are you even talking to me? Haven't I scared you enough, huh?" I say, my voice rising in volume with each word.

"Why would I be afraid of you?" she says, surprise clear in her expression.

"Don't play dumb with me, Iris. The landscape doesn't lie, no matter how much you deny it." I say and stand up abruptly. My anger is suffocating me.

She stands up as well, approaching me with cautious steps.

"Eric, what are you talking about? How do you know about my fear landscape?" her eyes are wide with panic.

This derails my train of thought. She doesn't know that I know?

"I administered the test, Iris. I could see everything you were seeing." I say and avert my gaze, I couldn't look at her right now.

I hear a barely audible gasp fall from her lips.

"Eric..." she trails off, the shock still present.

"Save it. Deny it all you want, but I know what I saw. You're scared of me, Iris" I say, but I can't shout anymore. My voice falls to a low whisper by the end of the sentence, but I still can't look at her.

Suddenly, I feel a small hand wrap around my upper arm; the warmth radiating all over my body. I snap my eyes to look at her.

PART 2/3 OF THE TRIPLE UPDATE - CHECK OUT CHAPTER 25 NEXT :))