chapter eighty-four

CHAPTER TWOGETTING CLOSER

CHAPTER TWO
GETTING CLOSER

YOU'RE UPSET, AREN'T YOU?

━━━━━━━━━━

"Mark said if we're ever able to get out, Sooyeon, his girlfriend, would try to pick up on any signals we tried sending out. I'm assuming that when they escaped, they possibly came to this city up here which is why those people tried putting up cameras," Areum sighed, unsure of the thoughts her mind was producing.

"So what are you saying," Chenle asked from her side, "you have some way to communicate with them?"

Areum shook her head, "no. Mark said I'd be able to figure out what he meant when the time came but I have no idea where he went or how we're supposed to send a signal out. I'm thinking if I shapeshift and try to pick up on his scent, I might be able to find something."

"Didn't he escape almost two months ago? Won't it be hard to find his scent by now," Jeno asked, he and the others visibly concerned by the situation.

Areum nodded, "that's why I'm worried too. Even with my enhancements, I'm not sure how well I'd be able to track him."

"Do you have any of Marks clothing or stuff that still has his scent on it? I've seen shows where it sorta helped. I don't know how useful it'd be right now but it could be something," Eunha suggested.

"I still have his cologne. But Chenle uses it too so it's probably best for you to stay a bit behind me so I don't get your scents mixed up if I find his."

The others nodded, stopping to let Areum walk a bit ahead of them to take her clothes off and shift.

"It'd be so much easier shapeshifting if we could do it with our clothes on like in TV shows," Hyeji complained, "but if we try shifting in our clothing, it'll just tear off."

The others didn't respond in time after hearing a low growl from in front of them. Turning towards the noise, they saw Areum's orange eyes staring back at them with her clothing in her mouth.

"You finally folded them like I suggested," Jisung smiled, stepping forward to grab the clothing from her mouth.

The older girl growled at him as she sat down, letting Jisung grab Mark's cologne from Chenle's bag. She waited patiently as he stepped forward, letting her sniff the bottle.

She finally pulled away, leaning her head towards the ground as she tried continuing forward with the others trailing behind her.

It was a very faint smell, one she could just barely pick up on. But she still followed it carefully, all the way to the edge of the forest.

"Finally, some civilization," Jaemin smiled, looking around at the people walking around.

"How are we supposed to get Areum to follow the scent in werewolf form? I doubt these people would be all too happy knowing there's a werewolf in their presence," Eunha said, her eyebrows drawn down in concern.

"But she isn't dangerous, it's still Areum."

Jeno rolled his eyes, "of course we know that. But imagine you were one of these random people and a bunch of kids covered in dirt and sweat came up to you saying that their pet werewolf was friendly."

The group silenced as they watched people continue on with their night, unsure of how they'd get past everyone whilst allowing Areum to follow Mark's scent.

"What if I shapeshift into a bloodhound and Areum returns to her regular form? Bloodhounds are known for their keen sense of smell, I might be able to pick up on his scent somehow and Areum will get to rest."

Everyone looked between Hyeji and Areum, the younger girl sitting on the ground as she stared at everyone walking by.

"But you've already shapeshifter once in the last hour. Are you sure it won't strain on your muscles if you do it again?"

Hyeji shrugged, "I don't think it will. With all the practice I had been doing, my body is practically warmed up to the feeling."

The others nodded, turning towards Areum. The younger girl silently turned away from the crowd, walking a few feet back into the woods.

Jisung separated from the rest of the group, finding his way to Areum and giving her clothes back while Hyeji went in a different direction.

"You're upset, aren't you?"

Areum scoffed, dusting her clothes off as she and Jisung made their way back to the group. "It's not that I'm upset. I just wish that I could be the one to find him. I'm glad Hyeji is willing to do it for me but I feel like she shouldn't have to."

Jisung nodded, "I understand. But when we find Mark, it won't matter, remember? The only thing we need to do is find what he was trying to tell us. When he sees us, he won't care who found him."

Areum sighed, "I guess you're right."

"Areum, Jisung, come on, Hyeji found something!"

→ ♕

AHHHSHSHSKSKD WHAT DID THEY FIND