No more Ace

C H A P T E R      S E V E N T E E N

C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

Ace stumbled and I grabbed him, steadying him with all of my strength. I sat him down on his desk and although he was now supported he still didn't stop swaying.

"You need to calm down, I can't understand you when you get that angry." He took a few deep breaths and then tried again.

"My tong is heevy." I burst out laughing again, he pressed his lips into a thin line. I hadn't seen his mafia face without the mask. It was remarkable how all of his features came together to look more fierce and vexed. "Someone thugged me." He muttered with irritation.

"Someone mugged you?" I teased.

"Thugged." Small splatters of spit rasp-berried out of his mouth and he used his finger to push his tongue back in.

"Hugged?" I bit down on my lip to stop the laughter exploding again.

"Thugged. Th-orrrrrr-ged." He face palmed himself and shook his head, then he gripped the table with haste as if it were moving beneath him and he was about to fall off. I placed my hand over my lips and chuckled. I was enjoying this so much. "Oh Fuch off." He slurred.

"I'm gonna go get you some fresh water and I will be right back." He grabbed my arm, almost toppling forward and off the desk.

"Don tell enlee one." I nodded my head and wiggled my arm free. I felt pleased with myself, there was no way he could fight like this, the guy couldn't even stand.

When I returned to the office he paced towards me and clutched his hand around my throat. His movement imprecise and weak but still caused me to drop the glass of water to the floor.

"I know it was you." He warned. "But I dunno why. You drugged me." I tugged his hand away from my neck and lowered it down.

"You're delirious." I pointed out.

"The trouble you cause Red." His finger trailed over my collarbone "One day I'm gonna need to shnap that pretty little neck of yours."

A knock on the door made us both freeze. "Shhhit." Ace slurred. He grabbed his mask and attempted, not very well to put it on, dropping it a few times. I took it from him and slowly slipped it over his face.

Our eyes met and my heart skipped a beat. He was so translucent when you caught a glimpse of the real man inside. The one he hides behind his mask. Ace kept his heart trapped in a cage, it was capable of loving, he just wouldn't let it out.

"He can't like seen me this." He whispered. There was another knock on the door.

"Boss we gotta call." The voice shouted.

Ace sucked in a big breath of air and then blew it out, it smelt of peppermint mojito. He stood up and grabbed my arm roughly, dragging me across the room whilst stumbling over his own two feet. He placed me out of sight behind the door and then opened it, holding onto the door frame like his life depended on it. 

"The warehouse is under attack, the Valentinos have come for their own and it would seem they've joined forces with the Petrov. They've already took down five of our men and counting."

"Fuckkk" Ace slurred.

Fuck indeed, I smirked.

"Nikolai?" He asked.

"Travis." The man replied.

Ace started pottering around his office collecting various weaponry and bullets, slotting them onto the hoists located around his body.

Arrows pressed into a wrist strap on each arm, knives strapped to his ankles, two guns on his chest, one behind his back. Bullets, so many fucking bullets. In that moment, the second he learnt he was under attack something snapped inside of him, impossibly sobering him up.

"Send fifty, keep the rest covering bases here, evacuate the girls. Focus all attention on Petrov not Valentino, don't care for hostages anymore. It's not thought through, just shoot to kill. I want eyes on Daria at all times. Fuck! Someone get Barney on the phone I need her locating her right now." 

I followed him out, he barked orders as he walked and armed up quickly. Men fell into line all around him immediately, taking on board everything he said with no questions asked.

He stopped and exhaled deeply, supporting his body weight on the bar top, clearly feeling a little woozy.

So he didn't just magically sober up then, that was good to know.

"Boss?" One of his men questioned.

"I'm fine." Ace spat out and then stood up straight and continued to collect guns and knives hidden around the room. "Evacuate this place."

"What's happening Red?" Blondie asked.

I smiled at her sweetly. "You should leave, we're under attack." Her eyes widened in fear and she ran to grab her coat from the rack. Toni raised his glass to me from across the room and I bit down on my knuckle to stop myself from laughing.

Watching Ace was mesmerising, the way he moved and put on a straight face for his family business. Forcing himself to seem sound of mind, strong and unbreakable. The control he possessed, not only of himself but of everyone around him. The cleverness of a plan sprung out of nowhere, the stress which caused his muscles to clench and his face to frown. I loved this, this rush, this adrenaline, this life.

It was never like this at my fathers. Sure we got attacked but it was strategic, every man had a job and knew their job like the back of their hand. They just did it. It was calm and collected. Ace ruled things through chaos. It was exciting and I wanted to stay, watch it unfold. Watch him in his element.

"Ow!" I screeched as his grasp grabbed my arm tightly and dragged me towards the door. I tried to pull out of his hold but he was too strong. Even when he's had his drink spiked Ace had control and strength when he really put his mind to it.

"Get the fuck out of here Red, I don't need you making anything else go wrong. Go home, you're a walking liability." 

He shoved me out of the door and slammed it closed in my face. I pulled out my phone and text my father to let him know Ace was on his way and sending fifty of his men.

Then I looked back towards the club. It was just a small metal door hidden away in a darkened back alley. There were black graffitied words written across the paintwork which I couldn't quite read and if you looked really closely you could see one or two bullet holes denting the metal.

I felt a tug at my heartstrings.

My father or Nikolai was probably going to kill Ace tonight because I put him at a disadvantage, unable to properly fight back. This felt like the last time I was going to ever walk back through this door.

No more Blondie.
No more mission.
No more Ace.