More Like Home

Songs: Cigarette Daydreams by Cage the Elephant

Hit the road Jack by Ray Charles. 

"Don't move"

A hand was firmly pressed to his chest when he woke up, the warmth of it seeping through the thin cotton of his shirt as he fluttered open his bleary eyes, wincing at the sunlight filtering through the windows.

"What?" He mumbled, disorientated, voice thick with sleep as it scratched as his throat. It took him a moment to remember where he was as his eyes adjusted to an unfamiliar room. White walls, wooden beams stretching across the ceiling, plants atop of window sills and photos hanging in clear frames. He saw only what he could with the duvet blocking half of his surroundings, bunched up high above his chin.

"Don't move" Harry repeated through a smile. Louis could only turn his face with his body being held in place, neck stiff as he craned it to see the boy. Harry was laying on his side facing him, hand stretched out towards him with the other tucked under his ear, curls splayed across the white pillows and green eyes squinting against the sunlight. Louis quirked a brow in confusion, and Harry's smile only widened further as he slowly moved his hand and patted down the duvet that was obscuring Louis' vision. "Look"

Louis turned his face forward again and his eyes widened immediately, meeting another smaller pair that were blinking down at him- maybe with confusion? Curiosity? He wasn't exactly sure how to read a kittens expression. "What do I do?"

Lola was perched on his chest, no bigger than his two hands cupped together, with her head tilted towards him and her ears flicking every few seconds. He couldn't disagree that she was utterly adorable, fur soft and fuzzed, paws smaller than the palm of his hand- but he didn't know what to do. He'd never had a kitten before and he wasn't sure how to interact with one. "Harry"

"She's just sussing you out. Let her get used to you" Harry said softly, staring at the two of them with a fond expression. "She's cute, isn't she"

"She is but I'm scared to move, and I really need a piss right now" He wasn't scared of Lola, not at all, only he didn't want to startle her. He wanted her to like him but he had no idea how to go about making that happen. "Does she like me? I can't tell. She keeps staring and it's a little unnerving"

Harry chuckled, "She's just trying to figure you out, don't worry about it"

"I feel like I'm having a staring competition with a fucking kitten" Louis huffed, and it was almost like she could understand him as she broke the stare and glanced over at Harry with an unsure expression.

"It's okay Lola" Harry said, his voice the highest pitch Louis had ever heard it. His tone was childish, playful, soft. Louis couldn't help but feel a spark of endearment lighting up his chest. "It's only Louis. Don't be scared" he added, reaching out to scratch behind her ears.

Lola leaned into the touch immediately, pressing her head into the palm of Harry's hand as she let out a faint purring sound, her eyes falling shut. Louis could only dart his eyes between the two as he tried to contain his excitement, instincts screaming at him to pull the kitten into his arms and never let her out of his sight again. But, he was new to this, new to her, and he knew deep down that leaping onto a kitten and throwing out all his adorations wouldn't be the best way to start.