Chapter 30

Finally, the weekend had arrived, and it was the second day that Remus was missing. James, Sirius, and Peter were all still worried, staying up late at night to see if Remus would show up.

    They tried to come up with theories as to why he was missing, but one was more unlikely than the other. But they finally had to go to sleep when Remus failed to show up once more.

     Although Jenna, who wasn't too close with the boys anyway, was spending the day in the common room with Lily, Marlene, and Alice. They had already gone down to breakfast, and afterwards, due to Lily's insisting, they returned to the common room to finish their essays.

"But look at the weather outside!" Jenna groaned, looking desperately outside the common room's window. "We can do our homework later in the evening!"

"Jenna, you've left all your week's homework and assignments for the weekend, and now that it's the weekend, you're trying to postpone it again," said Lily, trying to reason with her sympathetically.

"But we don't get sunny days like this often!" Jenna argued. "I say we should go out and enjoy the fresh air for an hour or two, and then get back to doing our homework."

"Well, here's another idea," Lily went on, "we go out after we finish our homework. That way we can enjoy it freely, without having to worry about anything else."

"I agree with Jenna, though," said Marlene, leaning back on her chair out of exhaustion. "I'm not in the mood to study right now. I ate too much for breakfast, and now I can barely move. Eating makes me sleepy."

"I'm sorry, what was that? I don't think I heard you correctly," said Jenna with mock-seriousness, holding back a grin. "Did you just agree with me?"

"Don't get too used to it, Potter. This might be the first and last time that it happens," said Marlene with a smirk.

"I've got another idea!" Alice started in her dreamy voice, her eyes filled with excitement. "We can take our books and papers outside! We could sit by the lake and do our homework there! The weather is just wonderful!"

"I second that!" Marlene cried out.

"I third that," Jenna said coolly.

The three of them then turn to look at Lily, all their smiled widening, until she finally sighed in defeat.

"Oh, all right," she said, smiling as well. "But you guys better not get distracted while we're outside. Professor McGonagall is really strict when it comes to homework, and I don't want you to get in trouble with her."

"Deal!" Marlene exclaimed happily, getting to her feet along with Jenna and Alice as they started packing their books, parchments, and quills, and then placed them all in their bags hurriedly.

     "By the way," Lily went on sadly, holding her books that she couldn't fit into her bag, "I can only stay two hours with you guys."

     "What!? Why?" Jenna questioned with a frown.

     "I promised Severus that I would meet up with him in the library, so we could study Potions together," she explained.

    "Oh... well, have fun," said Alice, beaming at her.

Although just before the girls were about to leave the common room, they stopped when they heard someone call from behind them, "Hey, J.P!"

Turning around, they saw James walking down the stairs from the boys' dormitory, his black hair messier than ever and his eyes looking sleepy, obvious that he had just woken up.

When James reached them, he looked around at the other three girls who were waiting for Jenna, and he gave them a lazy wave.

"Morning," he said wearily.

"Hi," Alice said with a smile, and Marlene waved back.

Although Lily just rolled her eyes and looked away, which didn't go unnoticed by James.

He turned to look at her direction with a smirk. "Ever heard of this thing called 'being polite and saying hello', Evans?"

Lily turned her sharp glare on him. "And have you ever heard of this thing called a comb!?"

"No, thanks," said James smugly, running a hand through his hair and ruffling it up to make it even messier. "It's more awesome this way."

"Says who?" Lily folded her arms.

"Says me, and me is a very important person," said James, grinning.

"Ugh!" Lily huffed in frustration before turning to face the girls, "I'll wait for you guys outside." And with that, she stormed out.

"What's wrong with her?" said James, though he was still grinning arrogantly.

"There's nothing wrong with her," said Jenna sternly. "You should just apologize to her."

"What!? For what!?" James questioned angrily, his eyes widening.

"Well, let's start with the fact that you insulted her friend, and then tripped him down on purpose," she said.

"That's not a good enough reason for me to apologize," James said stubbornly. "Anyway, you still haven't seen Remus, have you?"

"No." Jenna shrugged. "Maybe you should just go and ask McGonagall. Maybe something has happened and he's left the castle temporarily."

"Oh, yeah... that could be it," said James thoughtfully.

"Anyways, you better go down to the Great Hall. The breakfast time will end soon. We've already eaten."

"Yeah, okay. I will. See you guys later." James nodded, and then with one last wave at their direction, he went back upstairs toward the boys' dormitory to meet up with Peter and Sirius, so they could all go to breakfast together.

"Which one was Remus again?" Marlene asked as the three girls made their way outside the common room to meet up with Lily, who was waiting for them in the corridor.

"Um... the one with brown hair and eyes," Jenna thought of a way to describe him. "You know... the quiet one who's been hanging out with my brother and his friends lately."

"Oh, yeah!" Marlene nodded in realization. "He's that one kid who looked really sick the other day. I actually thought he was about to faint for a second."

"Yeah, I was worried for him too," said Jenna, her mind wandering off. "I really hope he's feeling all right."