Chapter Eighteen: Frenzy [Part One]

✦ Author's note ✦

I had the slight feeling that I managed to frighten you with the last chapter, so I hope that this one will make up for it. As I promised, conversation and practice, and as you can see there will be a second part. I think you will be excited about part two, so I promise to update it tomorrow. Enjoy! 

L.H.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Franny was in a frenzy ever since she had returned from Lady Danbury; she immediately darted to her room and hasn't emerged since. She took out all her art supplies, set up her easels, mixed the colours and put the brushes to good use. Knowing that Lady Danbury's offer was a once in a lifetime opportunity she was determined to paint her very best work. She wouldn't stop before she reached perfection and she would not waste her time sleeping or eating for that matter.

The morning after Lucy didn't bother to knock on her door and let herself in as she knew very well that Franny wouldn't notice her. She expected a war situation and was not let down: there were several half-finished paintings scattered around the room, some thrown away, some preserved for later, the brushes were lying on the floor and the used palettes were piled up in the corner. And then in the middle of the muddle stood Franny, with not an inch of her white skin that wasn't covered by paint, her hair escaping the loose bun in several points, darting out in all directions, and her eyes, framed by deep dark circles, were moving around in a frenzy.

"Franny," Lucy addressed her softly, then as no reaction came, she repeated her name loudly enough to make her jump, "Did you sleep at all last night?"

"What a stupid question Auntie," she replied, still turning her back to Lucy, who decided to let her comment go, "There is no time to sleep. I cannot stop until I am finished."

"Lady Danbury's offer is not going anywhere. And pushing your boundaries beyond a certain point is detrimental to your health and for that matter to your work as well. You know that very well."

Franny didn't dignify her aunt with an answer just continued to splatter paint furiously across the poor canvas. She stopped for a minute to stretch her fingers out which were sore from holding the brushes.

Lucy let out a small sigh and then said, "Your lines are getting sloppy. You should get some rest."

Now that, as Lucy had planned, got Franny's attention. She spun around, shot a furious glance at her aunt, with angry little sparkles in her eyes and opened her mouth to say something.

"Do you think Margaret would have wanted you to wear yourself out over a painting?" Lucy asked in a soft tone, brushing a strand of hair out of Franny's face. She somehow softened under her touch.

The mention of her mother was enough to bring her back to reality, "No," she replied curtly.

"Then please have a hot bath, get rid of the layer of paint, and then come down for breakfast."

"If I promise to come down later, will you let me finish this painting?"

Lucy sighed, knowing that she wasn't going to win without bargaining, "Just this one painting. I give you an hour, not more and then I am locking all your art supplies away."

A defiant glint flashed across Franny's eyes signalling she had many ideas on how to paint with limited supplies. Necessity, after all, was a hard taskmaster and she has never been short on creativity.

"Deal," she offered her paint-covered hand, but the way Lucy's eyebrow arched she knew that there would be no officiation of the deal with handshaking.

"Now go, I intend to make use of my time," she said, and could almost feel the piercing gaze of her aunt so she quickly added, "Please."