26|The Truth

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I just wanted to thank everyone who has been supporting my book and me. I appreciate it, it makes me happy knowing that people are actually reading and interacting with my story. I wish I could update more often, but I am in school so that is not entirely possible. Anyways...THANK YOU!!

Anastasia's POV:

It was late at night, and I could not fall asleep. I looked over to see the lumps that were in my bed. Eos and Octavia had slept over while my brothers went to attend some business. Of course, I questioned why they went out late at night, but it was 3 am and they still hadn't arrived.

I got out of bed and put on my slippers. I left the room quietly making sure I didn't wake them up. I walked down the stairs but stopped in my tracks as I saw my brothers entering. They looked tired and they were all quiet. I didn't want them to see me, so I stayed at the top and hid.

"We have to tell her, she deserves to know." Adrian began to talk. I heard a couple of sighs.

"Soon, we need to make sure that we tell her together. I just don't want her to see us differently." Adrik voiced. Why would I view them differently? They have shown me what it is like to be loved something that I hadn't experienced in a long time.

"In the end, this isn't something that we got to chose, we were born into this family. I think we should give her the option if she wants to be apart of the next part since it is about her." This time it was Alexei. I just wanted to know why they were having a whole conversation at 3 am.

Me being too caught up in what they were saying, I didn't notice that I had bumped into the vase at the top of the stairs. All that could be heard was the vase shattering. I had fucked up, they knew that I was up here listening to them.

"Shit, Ana come down here carefully," Adrik told me. I made sure to not get near the broken pieces of the vase. I walked over to the living room where all of my brothers sat. Most of them had a glass of alcohol in their hands.

"Why are you awake? You should be up there with your friends sleeping." Alexei said while taking a sip of his drink. They all seemed tired, it may be because it is three in the morning. It was their demeanor, I haven't really seen them drink alcohol before. I knew something was wrong with all of them. First of all what kind of job requires all of them to be working during this time of night. Not only that, but Anton and Andrey to my knowledge aren't involved in the family just yet.

"Why are you guys home this late?" I responded with a question. Maybe if I deflect they won't give me a lecture on being awake at this time and spying on their conversation.

"We should do this in the morning when your friends leave," Adrik commented. I agreed just because I could see how tired they were. I was probably not going to get a good night's rest because I am a huge overthinker.

My thoughts often plague my mind making sleep seem impossible. I made it back to my room. Octavia and Eos were heavy sleepers since they didn't hear the commotion. Instead of getting back into bed, I sat on the swing seat that was by the huge window that overlooked Chicago.

What they did never piqued my interest until now. I had been too oblivious to what they did until now. It was obvious it was not something normal. I just wanted to know what. Every time someone hears our last name or sees any of my brothers they immediately cower down. They seem afraid. Why did I never question the odd behavior?

~

"Wake up." Someone told me as they shook me trying to wake me. I groaned trying to ignore the voice but they wouldn't budge. Finally, I gave in it was Octavia.

I had fallen asleep in the swing sweat in the most awkward position so my body was aching.

"Eos had to leave early something with her family. She couldn't say goodbye, but I have to leave Devin is here for me. Anton told me to wake you up they want to talk to you about something." Octavia told me goodbye and hugged me.

I went to do my business in the bathroom before heading downstairs. Sighing I walked downstairs where my brothers were whisper talking. That just made me more anxious.

"Good morning." Adrik saw me. I mumbled a quick 'morning' to all of them. I took a seat in the only empty couch chair. I knew they had done this purposely since it was the only solo seat. I gazed over all of them and they all looked serious.

"Before we tell you everything, I want you to listen to everything before you come to your own conclusion," Adrik told me and I nodded.

"I am not sure if you have noticed people's reaction when they hear our last name or the look that we get." This time it was Adrian who chimed in.

"Sometimes, but why does that matter aren't you guys like some famous businessmen. I just assumed that was just a reaction because people are intimidated."

"Well, that is not the only reason why. You see we have many businesses. Some legal and others illegal." Alek mumbled the last part. I stared at him because I had understood what he had said. So they are criminals.

"You see the illegal business if you will, was passed down through generations. When I came of age and our father didn't want to be involved I took over." Adrik said. I was trying to not freak out. This was a lot of information to process.

"What exactly is this illegal business?" I asked.

" We are the Russian Mafia," Alexei said so nonchalantly as if it was the most normal piece of information. I gaped at them. How was I supposed to respond to them? Any normal person would be terrified, but I am not. My brothers have never given me a reason well besides Alexei to not trust them. They have been there for me when I wasn't sure they would fully accept me with scars and all.

"I know you have a lot of questions, and we will answer them for you." Adrik looked at me as if he was waiting for me to run out.

"I mean I more or less have an idea what the mafia is a do, but what do you guys do?"

"Well, we are into trafficking illegal weapons drugs, we don't traffic humans. We put people six feet under who try to cross us." Alexei said which earned a glare from all of my brothers.

"I mean as long as you don't hurt innocent people, I don't have a problem. Quick question. I know you said that you all play a part in this, well I want to as well." I told them. They all looked surprised except Alexei he had a smirk. I wanted people to be afraid of me then like that I won't be an easy target like I have always been.

"I mean I would have liked you to not be a part of the business, you know maybe have a life separate from ours. I won't stop you from claiming your title, but just know that it won't be until you are 18. Also, you need to understand that once you are in, you are in for life." Adrik told me. I get where he was coming from, but I wanted to do this.

"What is my title?"

"You are the Russian princess well more like queen considering you are the only woman. You have the respect of your people. I will explain this to you later, but there is one more thing that we need to tell you." I urged Adrik to continue.

"We killed Gerald. We plan on killing everyone who hurt you."

-unedited
Please comment and vote:)!