Free

Chapter 9

Maybe I should have let him wait to tell me about Dante. I think I'm too drunk for this. 

"Camille, just go to sleep. We can worry about this in the morning." He says and I nod. "And you know, regardless of what anyone says, if you don't want to go see him you don't have to." He turns off the bedroom and light and leaves the door cracked. 

I don't think I'm ready to go back to New York. I don't know If I can handle the memory. My dad...I'm not sure. 

Dante's bed is a lot more comfortable then I thought it would be. He seems more like a, "hard as a rock" type. Maybe that's just me being ridiculous. 

"Wake up!" Zach yells loudly in my ear. I groan, my head is pounding. How is he okay? "Stop yelling." I mumble, digging my face into his pillows. "Sorry sweetheart, but I wasn't yelling." Zach says after he sits down on the bed. I watch closely as Dillion goes into Dante's closet and comes back out with basketball shorts and a t-shirt. 

"She is not wearing that!" Anara shouts as she blasts through the bedroom door. "You can't make her wear that." Last I saw Anara her body was stretched across the kitchen floor..."Well she has to. Dante has extra toothbrushes in his bathroom. We are going school in twenty minutes." He is such a mom. 

They all leave the room so I can get dressed and ready. It's pretty nice that Dante has a bathroom connected to his bedroom. I put the basketball shorts on and roll them so they are not below my knees. I grab the t-shirt and put it over my head. Everything is so oversized in this house. I pull my hair tie from my hair and tie the shirt so it is not so long before brushing my teeth and going downstairs. 

"Wow." Beca states. "You really should put your hair back up." Ivy gasps, "Beca!" She rolls her eyes and pulls a hair tie from her wrist. "Beca is a bitch in the mornings." Ivy apologizes and I nod. 

It's too early. 

"We are leaving! Everyone in the car." Dillion shouts from the front doorway. "Coming, Mommy!" Zach yells before running at him. 

"Did Dillion tell you about New York?" Aiden asks as we walk to the car. Honestly, I had forgotten he had said anything about New York. Should I go? I've only known him a couple months and who knows if he even wants to see me. "Yeah." I finally respond. 

"So?" He asks and I only shrug. I find it hard to conjure up the words to say, so I don't say anything. Instead, I get in the car and look out the window. Maybe I should just go. It'll be a cool little vacation and we graduate soon. 

It'll be great. Hopefully.

School went by slow as ever. My head was aching the entire time and I looked like a little boy all day. To say I was excited to go home was the understatement of the year. 

When I got home I told my mom about the trip and unsurprisingly she was excited for me to go.   A little too excited.  

She even packed my bag for me. I'm skeptical about her intensions but I'm glad she's a supportive mother, even if I am going to get a guy I've only known for a few months out of jail. 

We are going to New York tomorrow. I feel like I should have gotten more of a warning but Aiden said that Dante didn't want me to know until last minute. Weird, right? They told me not to worry about money but I hate that Dante pays for everything all the time. Not that I have the money...

I have been nervous to see him. I don't even know how I should feel. Should I be excited? Scared? I don't know. 

I open the freezer and grab a tub of ice cream and a spoon from the drawer. These circumstances require eating from the tub.