xlix. The Ministry

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter forty nine | the ministry

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

KAYA SOON FOUND HERSELF squished inside a telephone box amongst six others, waiting for the Silverstone girl to somehow get them into the Ministry, just as Harry had done before with his little group.

"Right - Jae, you're nearest to the receiver - dial six, four, four, two,"

Jaeden did it, his arm bent bizarrely to reach the dial. As it whirred back into place, a cool female voice sounded inside the box.

"Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business."

"Diana Silverstone, Jaeden Ezra, Sadie Vixen," Diana spoke swiftly. "Chad Lynx, Hermione Granger, Jacob Martin and..." she paused, as if she'd forgotten Kaya's name. Kaya shifted uncomfortably. "Kaya Bennett. We're here to do the same as the last group that just came in here,"

"Thank you," said the voice. "Visitors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your robes."

Badges slid out of the metal chute where returned coins normally appeared. Sadie scooped them up and handed them to everyone, awkwardly stretching her arm over other people's heads in order to do so. Kaya glanced down at her badge, once receiving it - Kaya Bennett, Rescue Mission was presented clearly across the front.

"Cool!" Jaeden said chirpily, pinning on his own.

"Visitors to the Ministry, you are required to submit to a search and present your wands for registration at the security desk, which is located at the far end of the Atrium."

"Yeah, yeah, alright," Diana, rolling her eyes. "We're in a bit of a rush, can you hurry up?"

The floor of the telephone box shuddered and the pavement rose up past its glass windows; the scavenging Thestrals were sliding out of sight; blackness closed over their heads and with a dull grinding noise they sank down into the depths of the Ministry of Magic.

A chink of soft golden light hit their feet and, widening, rose up their bodies. Diana bent her knees and held her wand as ready as she could in such cramped conditions as she peered through the glass to see whether anybody was waiting for them in the Atrium.

"The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant evening," said the woman's voice.

Once the room was starting to reveal itself, Kaya became pleased see they were reunited with the rest of the group. In fact, they seemed to be the only people in this particular room. The light was dim, there were no fires burning under the mantelpieces set into the walls, but as the lift slid smoothly to a halt, Kaya saw that golden symbols were twisting sinuously in the dark blue ceiling.