28: Away

Lilac gazed at the table overflowing with presents, some are even down the floor, neatly stacked by size. Included in the bunch are ones quite similar to hers. Despite being wrapped, the shape of the frames—or to be more specific, paintings—are obvious.

She looked down the one she is holding and sadly smiled. She felt kind of embarrassed for herself, why would she even think her gift is special? Asher's love for art is common knowledge, not only to his friends but the whole world! Of course they will have the same idea as her.

She just started but it's a major failure already.

The guy beside her cleared his throat, "they probably just bought those from some curator..." Kio drawled. It is only the two of them now, because both Seo-mi and Jada, and their friends already left. "You said you directly ordered from the painter, right? And he even exclusively made this painting for Ash's birthday."

Lilac chuckled, shaking her head and looking up the guy. "Are you trying to cheer me up?"

Kio defensively scoffed, "as if you need it."

Her smile widened as she finally placed her gift down a vacant spot on the floor. "Right. I just have to make this night extra special myself, so when Ash sees my gift, he'll remember it more than the others."

"Extra special?"

She didn't bother answering, and just whirled around to look for the birthday celebrant among the crowd. Once she finally found him laughing with his actor friends, a warm feeling immediately filled her chest.

"Ki-Ryeong," she called out, glancing at her companion, only to find him also watching his friend with a serious expression.

"Hmm?"

She looked away and smiled at Asher's direction once again, "I want to confess to him tonight."

There was a momentary silence before she finally heard Kio; "okay, if that's what you want."

Upon hearing his positive response, Lilac excitedly held her friend's arm and pulled him upstairs, and out the balcony overlooking the calm Han river. She was breathless when she faced the guy again, so she tried to calm herself down first.

"Can you bring him here before the countdown?"

She can already imagine what is going to happen later. It will be something her dear Asher won't ever forget! She will tell him about her feelings and right after she uttered those three words, fireworks will explode up the night sky and everything will just be... magical.

If ever he won't give her an answer right away or he still can't reciprocate her feelings, it's fine, as long as she makes sure he won't forget this night then everything can be set in motion. Also, Ash will start the new year with her, of all people! Won't that make her a special person to him? This will be the endearing prologue of their love story!

She felt Kio's gaze and only then did she realize that she's been daydreaming. "You will help me, right?," she didn't let go of his arm and shook it persuasively.

The guy checked the time on his phone, "there's only half an hour left till midnight so you better get ready."

Her eyes lit up and because of the sudden burst of happiness she felt, she ended up hugging the boy in front of her without thinking. "Thank you, thank you!"

Kio groaned, "chill out! I haven't done anything..."

Lilac stepped back and grinned, but the guy won't look at her anymore, probably because of annoyance. Oh well, at least he's still gonna help me!

"You agreed to help me, I'm already grateful."

He also stepped back before putting his elbows on the railing, and stared at the scenic view ahead. Only the lights from inside the house illuminate the balcony and with his back turned towards it, shadows appear on his face, highlighting his features.