Chapter 9: The Halloween Ball

October had almost evaporated into November and the air was already noticeably cooler. Halloween had fallen on a Sunday and the castle was more elaborately decorated than it usually was: cobwebs had been strung from tree to tree, the candles wax melted black and their flames glowed dimmer, and there were pumpkins scattered along the school here and there.

Tonight was the night. The night of the eagerly awaited Halloween Ball. Every student from third year onwards was to dress in formal wear, get a date (if preferable) and dance at the traditional ball. It was only hosted once every seven years, so this would be Estela's first and only time attending.

Estela and Cayra were in the girl's dormitory which was filled with the buzzing energy of excited Ravenclaw girls who were plaiting each others' hair, painting their nails and some had already begun to sip at some alcoholic drinks that they'd snuck up to the tower from Hogsmeade.

Cayra was standing in front of the mirror, holding her dress before her as she stared at her reflection longingly.

"I'm so excited!" she squealed. "The food, the dancing, the dresses! Did I mention the food?"

Estela was lounging on her bed, a book held high above her face. "I'm sure it will be great," she said, too interested in her book to pay full attention to Cayra.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake would you put that book down for one second?" Cayra said with a light-hearted laugh. "For one night and one night alone I forbid you from reading, Estela Markorp!"

Estela raised a brow and dropped her book. "You forbid me?"

"I do," Cayra said, crossing her arms. "For one night you're going to forget about schoolwork and books and exams and just enjoy yourself. Let loose a bit."

Estela rolled over onto her stomach. "I'm not really a 'letting loose' type."

"Trust me, I know. But I sense a wilder side to you, somewhere buried beneath all those facts and knowledge, however deep, deep down that may be," Cayra said with a smirk. "How about we help you with that?" Cayra asked, and rummaged in her bedside cabinet for a small bottle of firewhisky.

Estela shook her head slightly, "I couldn't possibly drink that."

Cayra opened the bottle and took a sip, her face contorting as it went down. "It's not too bad once the burn in your throat goes away," she said, wiping her lips with the back of her hand. "You sure you don't want a little?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Estela replied, her stomach twisting a bit at the thought of drinking it straight. "I've never attended anything like this before," she went on to say. "Well, except for Slughorn's Slug Club meetings."

"Oh it will be much better than the Slug Club!" Cayra mused, glancing towards the plate of pumpkin pasties on the dresser and grabbing one to take a bite. "And you've really never attended a party like this before?"

"Not unless you count the occasional dinner parties my parents have," she said, pressing her lips together as Cayra scoffed.

The grandfather clock behind them chimed and Cayra perked up. "Merlin, I'd better get a move on or I'll never be ready in time," she said. "You coming?"

Estela glanced up from her book. "A few more pages..."

"I swear to Merlin if you're still reading by the time I'm ready..."

"I won't be long, I promise."

Cayra raised a reprimanding finger. "You better not be. Right, I'll see you in a bit!" She said as she walked off into the bathroom, clutching her dress closely to her chest.