Chapter 43: The broken promise.

Nicolas and Marcel conversed in the office during lunch hour. Marcel sat on the sofa while Nick leaned back on his desk, facing the lawyer.

"Didn't your mom want the best for you, Nick?" Marcel asked, "I mean... think about it. She wasn't that invested in the company anyways, man. She'd want you to be happy."

Nicolas had his arms crossed, staring at the floor patterns, hearing his friend reassure him of the situation. Marcel saw Nick second-guessing himself, feeling frustrated at the amount of talking he was doing, but nothing is heard.

"I don't know, man. I feel like ditching the company-"

"Ditching the company for something you love is what she would've wanted and you know that," he said again, "Didn't she give you this whole letter about not turning out like your dad?" Marcel reminded. Nicolas smiled at the memory. He remembered how excited he was when he read the letter that stated he'd be working alongside his father building his mom's company. In high school, Marcel was informed about this. The two friends were excited about the news, though the letter that Nick's mom wrote before her passing said that he shouldn't be too focused on the business alone.

In a way, Nick could easily drop the company for Seven because of that letter, but at the same time, doubt ran behind his head.

His phone vibrated on his desk, causing him to gaze lazily at the screen, seeing the message that broke his heart.

Serene Ochoa: I'm quitting. I'll leave my stuff at the front office tomorrow at noon.

Nicolas's smile disappeared, reading the message from his desk. His throat contracted, his legs weakening as he attempted to move away from his desk.

"Nick?" Marcel called out, seeing the sudden change of character in his friend.

"Seven..." he choked up, his voice breaking, "He said he quit." Nick's eyes watered, picking up his phone, and reviewing the message as if he were hoping it'd fade away.

Marcel stood up quickly, racing towards his colleague, clutching his phone, "That... that doesn't make sense," he stated, "He told me that he had feelings for you, Nicolas-" Marcel was going to say something else before he got a glance at Nick's devasted expression. Tears ran down his cheekbones, and the water in his eyes reflected the ocean color.

A weight heavied on Marcel's shoulder, seeing his friend in such an emotional state, "Nick..."

"You were right," Nicolas coughed up, "He wasn't going to stay long by my side, huh?" he scoffed as if trying to ease the pain his body began.

Marcel shook his head, "Man... this doesn't feel right. Something must've happened. Maybe you should-"

"Just forget it," Nicolas interrupted, pushing Marcel away from him, "I'll let him go... No point in chasing something that isn't mine, right?"

Marcel eyed him sadly with furrowed eyebrows. He heard a call from his phone, checking the contact. The lawyer let out an exhalation and turned his attention back to his friend, "I have to go... keep thinking about the marriage, yeah?" He laid his hand on Nick's shaky shoulder, answering the call on his phone as he walked out.

Nicolas leaned against his desk, holding his phone in his hands. His eyes were glued to the message, weakened at the text. His legs shivered, making him slide down to the ground against the desk.

He breathed harshly, tapping slowly on the phone screen...

Nicolas Anderson: Why?

Seven Ochoa: You're getting married tomorrow. It was going to hurt me being around you.

Nicolas Anderson: You said you'd stay by my side.

Seven Ochoa: Just deal with it, Nick.

Nicolas didn't respond after that. He placed his head against the desk, pulling it back again and hitting himself harder as tears raced down his tanned skin.

Seven sat curled up on his couch, his eyes burning as well as his freckled cheeks from the constant tear-wiping he's been doing.

Both were pained in their places, lost at words with a broken promise on both ends.