Divergence

A/N, I'm probably going to go back and edit some of the earlier chapters because I have come to realize that I might have made Percy seem a bit underpowered in this story so far, and he needs to be stronger if he's going to eventually help Eragon face Murtagh and Galbatorix. 

Percy's Point of View

After he checked the first cell, Eragon checked a couple more. He went to another one, and I noticed that he seemed to be taking longer at this one. I assumed he must have found something. Out of curiosity, I stepped a bit closer. I assumed that whoever was in that cell must still be alive. As I looked, trying to see past Eragon, I could see a man in the cell. It took me a few moments to realize that the man in the cell was Sloan.

The butcher sat slumped against the left-hand wall, both arms chained to an iron ring above his head. His ragged clothes barely covered his pale, emaciated body; the corners of his bones stood out in sharp relief underneath his translucent skin. His blue veins were also prominent. Sores had formed on his wrists where the manacles chafed. The ulcers oozed a mixture of clear fluid and blood. What remained of his hair had turned gray or white and hung in lank, greasy ropes over his pockmarked face. Roused by the clang of Roran's hammer, Sloan lifted his chin toward the light and, in a quavering voice, asked, "Who is it? Who's there?" His hair parted and slid back, exposing his eye sockets, Where his eyelids should have been, there were now only a few scraps of tattered skin draped over the raw cavities underneath. The area around them was bruised and scabbed. It didn't take me too long to realize that the Ra'zac had pecked out Sloan's eyes.

I suspected Eragon was taking so long because he was trying to decide What we should do about Sloan. I figured we should probably take him back to the Varden with us, once we got there though, he would have to answer for his crimes, and although I didn't know for sure it wouldn't surprise me if Alegaesia still had the death penalty, and possibly even public executions. The thought that Katrina might end up having to watch her father's execution was not a pleasant one.

I knew we would have to discuss what to do with him. I was surprised that Eragon hadn't mentioned him to Roran. I turned toward Roran when he broke the last hinge to Katrina's cell door. Dropping his hammer, Roran prepared to charge the door and knock it inward but then appeared to think better of it and tried to lift it free of its frame. The door rose a fraction of an inch, then halted and wobbled in his grip. "Give me a hand here!" he shouted. "I don't want it to fall on her."

I went over to help him. I grabbed hold of the door as well, and together Roran and I heaved the massive door out of its casing and threw it across the hallway. The stone passageway returned the resulting boom again and again. Eragon walked over to us after the door landed. "What was in there?" asked Roran "Sloan. He's dead."

Roran's eyes widened. "How?"

"Looks like they broke his neck."

Roran grunted and said, "It's better that way, I suppose."

moments after that, Roran rushed into the cell, which was lit by a single wax taper. Eragon followed a step behind. I hung back, I didn't even know Katrina that well so I figured Katrina would be more comfortable seeing Roran and Eragon than me. I was wondering what Eragon was doing, clearly, he didn't want to take Sloan back to the varden with us, but had he killed Sloan and then said that the Ra'zac did it? I took a few steps back toward Sloan's cell, and I thought of a way that I might be able to find out. I remembered Eragon Saying that he had put wards on Katrina's cell door, and I knew he had most likely done the same with Sloan's. Instead of possibly alerting Eragon to what I was up to by trying to unlock the door, I thought of a different way that I could find out for sure if Sloan was still alive. I was still new to using Alegaesia's magic, even though Hecate had given me a wide knowledge of how to use it. I was also still new to contacting anyone but Ágrios telepathically, but I knew if I tried I should be able to sense Sloan's consciousness within the cell if he was in fact, still alive.