The change we need

Bucky and I made our way through the crowd until we got to the small lit up building. It was filled with patriotic signage and just in the corner I saw Steve staring at a poster.

I slowly and carefully step towards him knowing he's deeply upset even without seeing his face. Bucky is at my side and follows in step, leaving the two girls outside.
"Come on. You're kind of missing the point of a double date. We're taking the girls dancing. And Ali's loving life third wheeling!" Bucky exclaims making me roll my eyes and smile at Steve. He returns it, as he is now turned to face us but I see the pain behind his eyes. Steve wants this so bad.

"You two go ahead. I'll catch up with you." He insists but I shake my head and step forward taking his hand in mine.
"You're really gonna do this again?" I ask.
"Well, it's a fair. I'm gonna try my luck." He replied squeezing my hand in his. One thing I've always loved about Steve is even though he's smaller than me, his hand is still big enough to encase mine. It always brought comfort to the two of us.

"As who? Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you. The only reason they haven't caught you yet. Is because little miss Blondie over here forges the slips for you. Or worse, they'll actually take you." Bucky tries to reason.
"Look, I know you both don't think I can do this." Steve says and I immediately go in to disagree with him but Bucky beats me too it.

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war!"
"Bucky." I say trying to calm the brunette next to me down.
"I know it's a war. You don't have to tell me." Steve replied.
"Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs."
"What am I gonna do? Collect scrap metal?"
"Yes!" Bucky exclaims fed up of Steve's need to be a solider but I giggled at Steve's humour and he grinned at me.
"...in my little red wagon." Steve continues and I try to suppress my laughs but Bucky just sighs.
"Why not?"
"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky. Bucky, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. And Allison is at a genius college helping nearly everyone out! That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me." Steve argues back. I sigh, I hate arguing. Especially when it's between the three of us.

The three of us hardly ever argue. And don't get me wrong seeing Bucky in the army hurts me enough, I don't know what I'd do if Steve got in too. I don't want my two boys hundreds of miles away from me risking their lives while I sit at an office desk as an assistant for someone like Howard Stark.

The boys always talked proudly of what I do. But they don't understand. I'm not making some futuristic project that will save the world, I'm just using my brain to figure out some calculations on a chalk board. It's not what I wanted for myself but I settled. I know Steve never would, that's what made me admire him so much. I put everyone else before myself and never thought twice about what I actually wanted.

"Right. Cause you got nothing to prove." Bucky's voice brought me back out of my thoughts.
"Hey, Sarge! Are we going dancing?" Connie yells from outside. I had almost forgot they were there.
"Yes, we are. Don't do anything stupid until I get back." Bucky sounded.
"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Steve smirked making me smile at my two best friends.
"You're a punk." He walked back towards Steve and hugs him goodbye.
"Jerk. Be careful." Steve whispered.
"Come on Ali." Bucky said wrapping an arm around my shoulder but I didn't budge. Steve noticed and furrowed his brows at me.
"I'll stay here." I said making Bucky also confused.
"No Ali go have fun." Steve insisted.
"Go have fun? Watching Bucky flirt while I sit at a table drinking a lemonade? I think I'll pass." I giggle making the two boys smile.
"Alright doll make sure he doesn't get into any trouble." Bucky smiled down at me.

I smile back and encase him in a big hug knowing I wouldn't see him for a while. He wrapped me into his arms and tucked his head in my hair rubbing my back slowly.
"I love you. Be safe." I whispered in his ear.
"I love you too, I will be I promise." He whispered back pulling apart. I kiss his cheek softly watching him walk away and take the two girls with him.